Old 06-01-2011, 12:30 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UPS correctly pronounced is oops ...!
Old 06-01-2011, 03:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

When I had the full steel tower installed in my upper by Max Machine worx it got broken the same exact way when it got shipped ups to me, has never made a difference that I know of, Smitty
Old 06-01-2011, 11:42 AM
Go Big or Go Home
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ups left my brand new xz drive half way out of it's factory shipping carton in my driveway a few years back. neighbor said the box opened up as the unloaded it the drive fell out and cracked the cav plate. They drove off. also said improperly packed and would not pay.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:15 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

Sorry for your problem. It is sure disapointing when you want to get on the water!

We ship the uppers all the time. However we learned the hard way to re-package them and I don't think we have had a problem since.

There is absolutely no way we will ship a complete drive via UPS package service.

Just a suggestion - get a quote on a new empty upper and labor to swap.

Last edited by Mbam; 06-01-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:40 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree , always separate upper and lower. They will still throw it around, but that will get you a 50% chance of it getting there in one piece. Make sure its packed real well. I basically built a wood box around it and had it secure inside so it could not move around. They still destroyed it. I think UPS states that it has to be able to be dropped from 5 feet on any corner or side and not be damaged. I still say shipping on a pallet is the best. Cost more, but beats the hassel of a broken drive.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Spend the money, put it on a pallet and do a LTL truck delivery. Do it that way all the time on ceramic tile orders and they survive the trip. UPS may be cheaper but if your goods are well secured on a pallet they will be in one piece when you get them. Knew a UPS manager years back and he told me if you don't want it hurt, do the next day air, handled far less, likley get it in one piece.

Back to your problem,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, If they broke it , they will eventually make it right. Thing is how long will that take? And what do you do while you wait for them to do so? Whole deal just chits!

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 06-03-2011 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:25 PM
Registered

The guy from ups came by my home today to evaluate the damage , first thing he said was "this was shipped in a used box" we always recommend using a brand new box that we sell at ups. not sure how this will turn out. if they cover the damage i will be real suprised. the $2500 won't replace it but could get a new case. time will tell. this drive was purchased as a spare. so i can still go boating.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:28 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OH, they are a master of excuses !!!!! had many issues with them over the years...best one was a brand new 30hp outboard engine I sold, was in crate completly around it..roll cage looking !! driver had moved it to back of truck left door open drove off !!!! engine landed in the road..you can imagine what it looked like...they tried every thing in the book not to pay...said no problem...see you in court !!!! they finally paid it in full...did come get the engine..and when 1st happened told me package was so bad I had to come pick up as they could not deliver in it's condition !!!!!!
Old 06-07-2011, 05:21 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Never ship a drive UPS, they will arrive damaged every time.

Originally Posted by Revd Up
They broke 2 drives that were being shipped to me over the winter. What a hassel. If its heavy, they just drop it. Finally got one shipped to me on a pallet. That is the only way to ship a heavy piece in my opinion without it getting destroyed.

Last edited by motorz; 06-07-2011 at 05:24 PM.