Ins. trying to get out of paying for my out drive >

Ins. trying to get out of paying for my out drive

Notices

Ins. trying to get out of paying for my out drive

Old 08-05-2011, 06:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ins. trying to get out of paying for my out drive

I was cruzing along in Barnaget bay at 40 mph when the back of the boat lifted up and slowed down (hit something). I looked at the tachs and 1 was at 6k so I pulled the throttles back and I found I had no power on the port side. The next day I pulled the boat out got home and pulled the drive apart to find I broke the drive shaft. All else looks fine but the shaft is snapped between the lower bearing and the pinion.
I decided to put it through the ins. the adjuster looked at it and said it looks like the metal looks fatigued and probably won't be covered. They came to this conclusion by looking at the end of the shaft saying it looked "melted". I said that is galling due to the broken ends of the shafts rubbing together.
My question is has anybody ever seen a shaft crack part way then let loose later ? .. I think that is very hard to prove if not impossible .. Thanks
Old 08-05-2011, 06:48 AM
Registered

Is your prop bent?
Old 08-05-2011, 06:52 AM
Registered

No.. It had a black mark on it but when I touched it it rubbed off.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:04 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

You hit something hard enough to break a drive shaft yet there is no damage to the leading edge of the lower unit, skeg, or prop?
Old 08-05-2011, 07:18 AM
Registered

It is a stainless prop. If it hit a piece of wood (which there is floating in the bay from the docks) I don't think it would damage the prop.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:58 AM
Registered

I don't think I would go through my insurance company to fix that. Since you made a claim, it may be too late. They are going to go up on your insurance. Also, your car insurance company will most likely find out that you had a claim. They look for that sh?t. That may give thoses crooks a reason to raise your car insurance as well. Who is your insurance company?
Old 08-05-2011, 08:07 AM
Registered

Progressive.. The out drive is 2K plus.. The shaft alone is $550+ plus the case has a piece missing .. The gears have some minor pitting so the whole thing shoud be redone..
Old 08-05-2011, 08:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
You hit something hard enough to break a drive shaft yet there is no damage to the leading edge of the lower unit, skeg, or prop?
The inner most part of the prop came incontact with the bell of the housing and chipped a piece of the housing and put a flat spot on the prop ..
Old 08-05-2011, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Ouch.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:59 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I hate to say it but I hardly think a drive is worth making an insurance claim on. I predict you'll be shopping for new insurance in the near future.
In any event, good luck with the drive. It sucks when that happens.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.