Outdrive Question?

Notices

Outdrive Question?

Old 08-20-2011, 12:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Outdrive Question?

Outdrive Question?
My Bother-In-Law is going to buy a 1982 Sea Ray it comes with a big block Chevy with a Volvo 290 outdrive. Is a Volvo 290 outdrive more dependable and better than a MerCruiser outdrive? Is it possible to change out the Volvo outdrive and replace it with a MerCruiser Bravo or a Alpha outdrive? If so what would be involved in this setup? Also, Which MerCruiser outdrive is better for a big block Chevy? The Bravo or the Alpha outdrive? Thanks Fellow boaters!

Last edited by ESCOBAR; 08-20-2011 at 12:51 AM.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ESCOBAR
Outdrive Question?
My Bother-In-Law is going to buy a 1982 Sea Ray it comes with a big block Chevy with a Volvo 290 outdrive. Is a Volvo 290 outdrive more dependable and better than a MerCruiser outdrive? Is it possible to change out the Volvo outdrive and replace it with a MerCruiser Bravo or a Alpha outdrive? If so what would be involved in this setup? Also, Which MerCruiser outdrive is better for a big block Chevy? The Bravo or the Alpha outdrive? Thanks Fellow boaters!
Well, I don't remember the power rating of the old AQ290, but it does not fit alot of the modern prop designs, and is not a very fast or performance oriented drive, Switching to a Alpha or Bravo will requier reglassing the old cutout in the transom, and then rerigging the whole thing.

For a big block, you will need the B1 drive.

Alpha runs up to 300 ho
Bravo runs up to 400 hp
Bravo X runs up to 450 hp
Bravo XR runs up to 600 hp (525 hp for the Bravo III XR)

I would look for something with a Bravo, TRS, or Volvo SX drive. Parts and props are hard to find for the AQ290.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:55 PM
Registered

Thank You! A.O. Razor for your Info.
I have to say after reading the response to my Question I am sad with the result of the boat. Originally the 1982 Chris Craft boat owner did have a MerCruiser small block 350/260HP then he replaced the whole engine and outdrive with a Big Block Chevy and then for some reason or another he took out the MerCruiser outdrive and put in a Volvo 290 which to me is a very disappointment to a beautiful 1982 boat. It's like saying "What a shame" and to find it hard to understand what was the boat owner thinking about when he went the extra mile to replace the MerCuiser outdrive and put in a Volvo 290 outdrive. It is hard to walk away with not getting the Chris Craft as is such a hard boat to find that is in excellent shape. I was thinking that a MerCruiser outdrive would be the same size as the Volvo outdrive and it wouldn't be a BIG problem to just replace the Volvo with a MerCruiser.

Here are the Pictures of the Chris...

Old 08-21-2011, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get an adapter plate to make the swap from Volvo to Merc. They aren't cheap. $825. Makes it easy though with no transom work required.
http://www.marinedepo.com/827691A1-PLATEKIT.html

Last edited by picklenjim; 08-21-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:23 PM
Registered

Thank You for the Information piclenjim If I do decided to change out the Volvo outdrive to a MerCruiser does it mean that I have to take out the engine in the boat? I just feel that this is going to become a "major operation" to do this project.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:56 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Most deffinately have to remove the engine. As far as being a major operation it just depends on your mechanical abilitys. To some it would be a piece of cake. To others they may end up sorry they even started it. This adapter plate just takes care of the hole in the transom. I would assume you would need a mercury transom plate,coupler and engine bellhousing inside the boat. But then you are going to need the merc gimble assembly and drive anyway. Basically you will need everything merc from the engine back plus the adapter plate. If you go Bravo I would think you are looking at at least 5K in parts used.

Last edited by picklenjim; 08-23-2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:48 AM
Registered

I wouldn't be so bummed out about the Volvo 290 drive. They are exceptionally robust, shift smoothly, and it appears that outdrive already has a Volvo Ultra prop on it, which was their S/S performance prop.

They aren't quite as fast as the Mercruiser product, but I have never broken one. There are frequently conversations about how much hp the various Merc products will take, but not so much for the Volvo. The 290 has shown it will take close to 500 hp without issue.

You could always use it until something major needed repair, and then make the switch.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Say N2O
I wouldn't be so bummed out about the Volvo 290 drive. They are exceptionally robust, shift smoothly, and it appears that outdrive already has a Volvo Ultra prop on it, which was their S/S performance prop.

They aren't quite as fast as the Mercruiser product, but I have never broken one. There are frequently conversations about how much hp the various Merc products will take, but not so much for the Volvo. The 290 has shown it will take close to 500 hp without issue.

You could always use it until something major needed repair, and then make the switch.
i agree,the boat looks good,if the price is right,id go for it.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:13 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Just Say N2O

Volvo's drive engineering on the originals made mercs look pretty poor in my opinion. I wouldn't hesistate due to a volvo being on the back. Another thing that chris craft has is the best exhaust money can buy, KEs. Nice setup all around.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:22 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

if your heart is set on a merc, find one set up that way. that one with big block and volvo will flat outrun ALL of the original 350-alpha scorpions or Chaparral XL's or any other 23 cruisers it is in same class with. it will last a lot longer too. nice looking boat nice looking conversion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.