Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Bravo 1 Drive, Is There a Rebuild Interval? >

Bravo 1 Drive, Is There a Rebuild Interval?

Notices

Bravo 1 Drive, Is There a Rebuild Interval?

Old 09-01-2011, 08:12 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bravo 1 Drive, Is There a Rebuild Interval?

Just kind of curious, I like to be proactive if its needed. Is it worth having them gone through before something happens or just run them til they break? What hours do you have to get on them with normal power before you need to worry about it?
Old 09-01-2011, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Depends what you consider "normal" power, 400 hp let say with good oil, changed every 50 hours or so, a cooler and not ran at wfo constantly you probably only need to go thu it every 500 hours/ten years unless you start seeing metal on your magnets. I change my drive oil every 10-15 hours and am in the drive at first sight of considerable metal or about every 30-50 hours but then again I am running big power and drive gets very abused, Smitty
Old 09-01-2011, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a loaded question there are a lot of variables that go into how long a B1 will last. My advise is to do your drive service every year and keep a close eye on your magnets and when you start to see more then fuzz on them then it's time to take a look.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by articfriends
Depends what you consider "normal" power, 400 hp let say with good oil, changed every 50 hours or so, a cooler and not ran at wfo constantly you probably only need to go thu it every 500 hours/ten years unless you start seeing metal on your magnets. I change my drive oil every 10-15 hours and am in the drive at first sight of considerable metal or about every 30-50 hours but then again I am running big power and drive gets very abused, Smitty
Any updates with the Bravo Shop drive oil?
Old 09-02-2011, 07:10 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess I will just keep an eye on them. I have only owned the boat for 2 seasons now, have no idea how it was serviced or treated previously. I havent had any trouble, and no major metal on the plugs. I tend to run pretty hard, but not a lot of hours each season, and change every season with Amsoil/w Lucas additive. My biggest concern is that they are 18 years old, pushing close to 400 hours now unless they were gone through by a previous owner(unknown). I didnt know if by going through them before they go you might save parts that otherwise may be destroyed and add significant cost. Like I said above, I just like to be proactive and plan ahead when it comes to maintanance/repairs.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:38 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

why not consider getting a spare drive,,
Old 09-02-2011, 05:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by waconda
Any updates with the Bravo Shop drive oil?
It is good oil from what I can tell but unfortunately I sheared off a billet vert shaft , destroyed the lower housing, dinged up the gears enough where they are junk a few weeks ago before I got enough time to tell if oil was helping the gears. The failure had nothing to do with the oil, the 1000 ft lbs of tq twisting iit did, Smitty
Old 10-19-2011, 12:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by articfriends
You're putting 1000HP through a B1?
Old 10-19-2011, 05:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Crossett
You're putting 1000HP through a B1?
1050hp to 1100hp and about the same amount of tq depending on my upper pulley. Max Machine worx upgrades, I had gears cryoed and isorem'd and I take it apart every 20- 50 hours and inspect it/replace parts as needed depending on when magnet starts showing metal, Smitty