Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Surface drive vs Sterndrive complex question >

Surface drive vs Sterndrive complex question

Notices

Surface drive vs Sterndrive complex question

Old 10-18-2011, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Come on Kevo, you go first! You know they will work great on the Outlaw!
Old 12-09-2011, 01:51 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Anyone do some lab testing to answer my question yet? LOL!

Since Imco does not wrnty the scx4 it makes me wonder even more about my original question.

Also thinking about how fountains have such a high X Dim they break bravo shafts and props like its their job. So will that be the case with the scx4 also?

Only time will tell. Just would love to know now so we all could decide if we want to buy them or go another route.

I still think they are great drives that will work amazing on some applications.

My personal application I want a drive that Gains speed, last 500hrs between overhauls, strong behind 900-1000hp, and installs on a bravo style boat.

The SCX does this minus the gaining speed
The Arneson does this for me but not everyone
The X power does but price is to high

SCX4??? Only time will tell UNLESS we answer my original question!!!
Old 12-09-2011, 05:15 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Also thinking about how fountains have such a high X Dim they break bravo shafts and props like its their job. So will that be the case with the scx4 also?

If you dont want to worry about that, go with the
big shafts and SSM props on the scx4.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by JaayTeee
If you dont want to worry about that, go with the
big shafts and SSM props on the scx4.
I agree that's the only way to go but still does not answer if a surface drive application puts more or less stress on internal drive parts.
If it's harder on parts then the SCX 4 will not be for me. If it's equal or less then it will be a smash hit!
Old 12-10-2011, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd say:
700HP on the internals with 14% prop slip is 700HP on the internals with 14% prop slip regardless of height except for the propshaft and lower bearings. A surfacing drive would deflect the propshaft up more so than a submerged drive. That's probaby harder use.
As far as load unload due to number of blades. 5400 RPM divided by 1.5:1 ratio divided by 60 seconds in a minute equals 60 revolutions per second divided by 5 blades equals 1/300th of a second between pulses that the slip is absorbing/cusioning so likely no measurable difference in loading of the gears. With 5 blades a blade is always in the water pushing anyways. Now with a 2 blade, pulses would be 1/30th of a second apart and you could possibly have no blades in the water pushing at times. Maybe that would be harder but you'll still have the slip cusioning the pulses.
And I got my degree online!
Old 12-10-2011, 09:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 1 MAIDEN AMERICA
I'd say:
700HP on the internals with 14% prop slip is 700HP on the internals with 14% prop slip regardless of height except for the propshaft and lower bearings. A surfacing drive would deflect the propshaft up more so than a submerged drive. That's probaby harder use.
As far as load unload due to number of blades. 5400 RPM divided by 1.5:1 ratio divided by 60 seconds in a minute equals 60 revolutions per second divided by 5 blades equals 1/300th of a second between pulses that the slip is absorbing/cusioning so likely no measurable difference in loading of the gears. With 5 blades a blade is always in the water pushing anyways. Now with a 2 blade, pulses would be 1/30th of a second apart and you could possibly have no blades in the water pushing at times. Maybe that would be harder but you'll still have the slip cusioning the pulses.
Now thats some math !
Old 12-10-2011, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's priceless!!
Old 12-10-2011, 01:11 PM
Registered

I'd say:
Is all this factored on flat water or 3-4 footers? LOL
Old 12-10-2011, 05:01 PM
Registered

LOL! So after all this math and stress and chit we still do not know the answer!! Good thing the lexus dealer I just dropped my load of cars at had "stess relieving hand soap"! Hope it starts working soon......
Old 12-10-2011, 09:23 PM
Registered

Im guessing that there is a reason why Imco is offering the scx4 with the #6 propshaft, the bigger it is the stronger it is. Im going to run my scx4 drives as hard as i possibly can and i highly doubt I will have any problems if these drives are anywhere near as strong as my previous scx uppers. Imco didn't offer a warranty on my scx uppers that i purchased 2 years ago and i had zero failures with the scx uppers but i did have propshaft failures with my old sc lowers. My new scx4 drives will solve that problem and if anybody can break these new drives i can

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.