Speed loss between SCX and SC lower

Notices

Speed loss between SCX and SC lower

Old 10-23-2011, 07:36 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed loss between SCX and SC lower

I know this has been discussed here before, but I could not find exactly what I need to know. I am currently running and SCX upper and an SC lower. I am very happy with the SCX upper, however, I am not getting good gear life from the SC lower. In years past, I would get a couple of seasons out of a set of lowers. Last year, was my first year that I got just one season from the set. However, I got a good year in. I am a bit unusual, in that I dont really track the # of hours I put on in a year, I prefer to track mileage. Regardless of that, last year I put 960 miles on them, this year only 675. The big difference is last year, the gears were just worn enough for me not to trust tham for another year, this year, there is nothing to think about, they need to be replaced. So, now I am getting less use and the gears look worse. Before anyone asks, set up is not an issue. They are set up correctly.
Back to my question.... In a single V bottom, does anyone have any data of how much speed loss I would expect to see if I were to swap my SC lower for an SCX. Remember, I already am running an SCX uppper, just need to know how much the lower would take away from top end..
Old 10-24-2011, 06:07 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I heard anywhere between a couple mph and 12. With my change the setup changed so you can't compare. It was the early consnsus to get the bullet out of the water, but someone said it performed better deep. I think it is going to be different on each set up.
I've got an SCX lower that is like new you could buy for half of retail and check it out. If it doesn't work you could sell it. It is like new.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:28 AM
Registered

Vinny...call me later on this......I was reading another thread and came across these guys that lab/fine tune the lowers on outdrives.....maybe if the SCX lower scrubs off a few mph these guys can get them back......

http://www.wilsoncustommarine.com/Page_2_6OGO.html
Old 10-28-2011, 08:00 AM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

John,

Yes, I knew of these guys who can do this. I made the deal with SkiDoc for his SCX lower. My plan is to run it as is for some testing. I know exactly how fast I ran this season, no engine upgrades are in the works this winter, so next season will be a real test between the 2 lowers. Unfortunately, it will take take 6 months to get any answers ... Gotta love the winter!!!
Old 10-28-2011, 09:46 AM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wilson's wants like $4K to work the SCX lower, thats quite a few SC gear sets with no speed loss. Like stated, you could only be looking at a 2 mph loos running the SCX lower, every set up will respond differently, Good Luck, post your results for us.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by fireboatpilot
Wilson's wants like $4K to work the SCX lower, thats quite a few SC gear sets with no speed loss. Like stated, you could only be looking at a 2 mph loos running the SCX lower, every set up will respond differently, Good Luck, post your results for us.
I think it is $4K for a pair.......in Vinny's case it is a single engine application.......