Notices

XR upper caps

Old 11-21-2011, 05:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for the most part many drive showers are the same. some use ridged SS tube and some flex tubing. the pickups i designed and fabricated. some of the top caps were just to hold a hose while others had side jets as well. we even had one set of top caps that held water on the top cap and the exit shot down the sides. i think those ended up installing on my AT poker run boat when i sold it.

x dimensions were from the min height required by F2 rules(aprox +2") to Super V where they were aprox -2".

no go on videos being online somewhere.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:44 AM
Registered

here's a great video just posted....kinda made me giggle thinking about people that thought nose cones were the holly grail of speed modifications! LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuDiYtGAp3U
Old 11-22-2011, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Audacity, is it a good idea to switch to the finned caps? My XR upper has a flat cap and I do not run a shower.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:47 PM
Registered

looks like u have a 22 donzi with a 525?....which i have to say is my earliest childhood memory of the coolest thing i had ever seen!
o yeah, your question.... so i would not worry about it at all! use the money to change the oil more often.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:23 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use finned caps and a shower, and depending on how high that drive rides in the water, there is no way that you can say that a shower does NO good. Each boat is going to set up a little bit different, If you aren't getting water at high speeds, you need to drop the shower water pickup.

Mine still over heated and fried the guts in the upper using a shower and finned caps. And you can tell it was a heat problem and not something wrong with the way it was set up.

Just my .02

I am going to switch to the billet caps with the internal cooling.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:55 PM
Registered

if you are burning oil in a drive, you have other serious problems!
Old 11-22-2011, 04:53 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by audacity
if you are burning oil in a drive, you have other serious problems!
Not sure, you could be right,

Buying a new one and putting on the good caps,

Re building the other one and the lowers.

Hopefully be in good shape for a couple seasons.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:45 PM
Registered

it's going to take oil temps of over 600 deg to effect ("fried") that oil.!!!
u running more than 525's?
what gears?
what props do u run?
Old 11-22-2011, 08:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thirdchildhood & audacity concerning posts23-24 Tch you have a 22 ft Donzi which would be a single engine boat correct? If I remember right the rotation would try to force the forward gear through the floor of the case rather than blow the cap off. If I am correct there then a finned cap isn't going to make any difference, that is assuming that your xr drive has the thicker cap like my finned ones. Also do have studs holding the cap on, if so I think audacity is correct. Now Mr Audacity my question after a short story is what will cool these uppers down? Now the story part. As I was watching the drug boats & talking with you on here I watched a thread of a badazz cat running X drives which I guess are a surface drive with a camera showing the drive completely out of the water at 170mph what keeps these drives cool enough not to fry the oil? Brett at bblades told me that the pickups for drive showers should only stick down about a1/2 inch or so if I remember correctly but with the power some people are putting through these drives I can see the boat completely out of the water so what to do? The gentleman I bought these uppers from had the intercoolers from his blowers exiting directly on the drives & still blew one up.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Thanks for the feed-back on the finned cap. I thought it was just to dissipate heat better. I'll leave the flat one on. There was an interesting thread on Speedwake a while back where someone actually did some oil temp readings with and without a shower and there wasn't much, if any, difference. Also, there seems to be lots of water flying around back there so I doubt that the upper is high and dry at speed. I have also heard others state that they have lost speed with the shower. BTW, I change the oil every season which is about 40-50 hours.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.