Teague clutch shaft issues??? >

Teague clutch shaft issues???

Notices

Teague clutch shaft issues???

Old 01-27-2012, 02:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Teague clutch shaft issues???

After inspecting my clutch shaft in my port drive, I found the lower clutch shaft bearing surface is wasted. I replaced both shafts in '09, 70hrs ago. I havent taken apart the starboard drive yet to compare, but I'm pretty pissed.

The lower bearing is pretty small, and at the advice of Aaron from MaxMachine I ran a bearing with full rollers instead of the merc bearing which has less rollers in a carrier.

My port(left rotation) drive does run hotter then the starboard, but that bearing is sumerged in lube. Im going thru both drives right now, and will have the star drive apart soon.

Just wondering if its a Teague issue?? and if anyone else has had any issues, so when I call Teague I have some ammo.

LE
Old 01-27-2012, 06:56 AM
Registered

Its common, Bravo Shop makes a shaft that will accept longer bearings in a Bravo drive, this will help with the load put on the bearing. Also the oil you use makes a big difference and how often you can it.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:53 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

How much hp? I split a fancy billet upper shaft and I have ate the end off them too, they weren't teaugue though, it happens, Smitty
Old 01-27-2012, 11:26 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It is a common problem on the Merc shafts. Happens even when you use the uncaged, inner tower bearing. There is another bearing that is longer that will fit the clutch shaft, but the tower needs to be bored to accept it. It is larger in OD and longer, with larger needles and it is caged. I have been installing the Imco upper vertical shaft, but have not seen feedback on it. I use it because I like the Imco shafts over the Merc stuff. If you have a removable tower, you could have it bored out for the larger bearing. If you have a B1 without the steel tower, it would be adviseable to install a steel tower with the larger bearing, along with the Imco shaft.
Hope that helps.
Dick
Old 01-27-2012, 09:22 PM
Registered

Received 363 Likes on 208 Posts

Yikes, Tickets to get to the island just went up............ That sucks to hear Scott... I am scared to look into ours... I think next year I will have to...
Jr.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:41 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

i have broke several mercury clutch shafts,i now use the imco shaft,the oil hole is smaller on the imco shaft.every one i have seen that broke,the brake origionates at this oil hole.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:24 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mr Gadgets
It is a common problem on the Merc shafts. Happens even when you use the uncaged, inner tower bearing. There is another bearing that is longer that will fit the clutch shaft, but the tower needs to be bored to accept it. It is larger in OD and longer, with larger needles and it is caged. I have been installing the Imco upper vertical shaft, but have not seen feedback on it. I use it because I like the Imco shafts over the Merc stuff. If you have a removable tower, you could have it bored out for the larger bearing. If you have a B1 without the steel tower, it would be adviseable to install a steel tower with the larger bearing, along with the Imco shaft.
Hope that helps.
Dick

Im running XR's so they do have the steel towers. I put the Teague shafts in as a maintenance. The Merc shafts looked alright except for a very small pit on one of the shafts in the same area as the Teague shaft.

The shaft didnt break, its just scored up in the race area. I am running more then 750hp thru the drives. I run Amsoil Severe gear lube with 10% Lucas stabilizer(per MaxMachine's advise), and change the lube every 25hrs.

I have more then 100hrs with the same HP on the original Merc shafts without seeing this kind of wear. So what gives?

Does Teague make there own shafts? They use and sell a lot of IMCO's stuff, and IMCO lists all the same shafts as Teague, granted all the picts dont look the same. Same supplier maybe?? If Teague doesnt do anything with the shafts, I was going to buy IMCO's(unless there the same).

LE

Last edited by LAKE EFFECT; 01-28-2012 at 01:58 AM.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:56 AM
Registered

Mr Gadgets,

Do you have the part # for the bigger bearing?

I know you build a lot of drives. Do you always use the bigger lower bearing with the XR towers? Whats your opinion on the gage vs. ungaged stock bearing? The IMCO shaft will accept the taller bearing?

I do all my own drive work, and have always trusted Aaron at MaxMachine's advise. I am gonna go thru both drives for next season. Here's a run down of my current upgrades, is there anything else you would recommend?

'03 Merc XR upper cases with 1in shorty IMCO lowers, 1.5 ratio, MaxMachine XR propshafts, hard shimmed Merc carriers, IMCO lower vert shaft(from '00, may repl as maint when I check the lower gears).

Upper's are using the Teague clutch shaft, I hard shimmed the input shafts and use MaxMachine billet top caps, 7/16 studs thru a Latham top cap steering plate(acts as a girdle, IMO). IMCO extension boxes with IMCO's drive shaft(GKN u-joints).

I broke a Merc HP helmet at the end of last year, so I plan on buying IMCO's ring and helmet as well.

Thx, LE
Old 01-29-2012, 10:22 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LAKE EFFECT
Mr Gadgets,

Do you have the part # for the bigger bearing?

I know you build a lot of drives. Do you always use the bigger lower bearing with the XR towers? Whats your opinion on the gage vs. ungaged stock bearing? The IMCO shaft will accept the taller bearing?

I do all my own drive work, and have always trusted Aaron at MaxMachine's advise. I am gonna go thru both drives for next season. Here's a run down of my current upgrades, is there anything else you would recommend?

'03 Merc XR upper cases with 1in shorty IMCO lowers, 1.5 ratio, MaxMachine XR propshafts, hard shimmed Merc carriers, IMCO lower vert shaft(from '00, may repl as maint when I check the lower gears).

Upper's are using the Teague clutch shaft, I hard shimmed the input shafts and use MaxMachine billet top caps, 7/16 studs thru a Latham top cap steering plate(acts as a girdle, IMO). IMCO extension boxes with IMCO's drive shaft(GKN u-joints).

I broke a Merc HP helmet at the end of last year, so I plan on buying IMCO's ring and helmet as well.

Thx, LE
LE,
I have just started to incorporate the new bearing in the steel tower upgrades. So I have not done any testing so far with the new bearing. Building a drive now, to loan out, for that purpose. The bearing OD and length is larger so the tower needs to be bored out to allow it to fit. The Imco shaft will fit the new bearing, their shaft bearing surface is a bit longer than the Merc If I remember correctly.

Generally I perfer the uncaged bearing. It has more needles for better support. The caged bearings are supose to run cooler, but load capacity is less, if you check the specs.

As far as your mods so far.. they look solid. I would check the Imco vertical shafts for the lastest Rev.. If it is the one with the hole in the bearings, and hole in the center of the shaft, I would replace them. I have seen them break. I have used that shaft for a lot of years without trouble on low hp (700-750). Imco revised the shaft in later years without the oil feed holes and went back to the Merc style lower bearing and race. The race that is pressed on the shaft needs to be radiused to clear the radius on the Imco shaft. This also applies to the (lower) upper bearing on the vertical shaft.

Hope that helps..
Dick
Old 01-30-2012, 03:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mr Gadgets
LE,
I have just started to incorporate the new bearing in the steel tower upgrades. So I have not done any testing so far with the new bearing. Building a drive now, to loan out, for that purpose. The bearing OD and length is larger so the tower needs to be bored out to allow it to fit. The Imco shaft will fit the new bearing, their shaft bearing surface is a bit longer than the Merc If I remember correctly.

Generally I perfer the uncaged bearing. It has more needles for better support. The caged bearings are supose to run cooler, but load capacity is less, if you check the specs.

As far as your mods so far.. they look solid. I would check the Imco vertical shafts for the lastest Rev.. If it is the one with the hole in the bearings, and hole in the center of the shaft, I would replace them. I have seen them break. I have used that shaft for a lot of years without trouble on low hp (700-750). Imco revised the shaft in later years without the oil feed holes and went back to the Merc style lower bearing and race. The race that is pressed on the shaft needs to be radiused to clear the radius on the Imco shaft. This also applies to the (lower) upper bearing on the vertical shaft.

Hope that helps..
Dick
Thx, I'm going to definitely look into the bearing upgrade when I get the clutch shaft issue straighted out.

As far as the 1" shorty vertical shafts, I believe they are solid. The reason I was thinking about replacing them is because they taper down to around 7/8" under the spline(early torsional part?), and looking at their new shafts, there is no taper. I replaced the IMCO lower bearing and race a while ago(back to merc bearing) after I heard they were prone to failure.

LE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.