Notices

Bravo or Trs?

Old 03-06-2012, 11:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bravo or Trs?

I'm in the process of rebuilding a 1978 24' Banana. Just got done with the transom and now its time to cut the hole. I have a full trs and bravo 1 setup but not sure which is best to run. It will be behind a 454 330hp. Any help is appreciated.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In your case I would deffinately recommend the Bravo. You would save a foot of engine space in side the boat beings you don't need a tranny. All parts are readily availiable and they would use less of your availiable power. Less weight and less drive dragging in the water.Plenty durable with a 330. No brainer.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I would think the bravo setup would be the more modern choice but you will upset the balance of the boat due to weight difference & setting the engine back with out having a transmission inbetween. imo, Randy
Old 03-06-2012, 12:21 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm a big fan of TRS's but with a 330 I would go bravo for the weight savings and simplicity. If you plan to put big power in it later, I would lean towards the TRS.

The balance is certainly something to think about... My 24 cig sure flew nice and level with very little tab with the weight forward in the TRS configuration.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bravo, hands down. The x of the B1 drive is quite a bit less than the TRS, so you can either install the motor with the original x and get your prop up, or lower the CG by lowering the x-dim and keep the prop shaft at the original height. I'd go for the first, and run an x not too low. Besides, the TRS takes way more power to spin and weighs quite a bit more than the B1. Were you running 500 hp up, I would have said the TRS.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:10 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

besides, there is a TRS boat missing parts sitting somewhere near you for next to nothing. THAT is when your TRS setup is gonna be gold. to use it for a new install, especially when there are hardly any parts avail doesn't make much sense.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:20 PM
Registered

I have that trs setup on swap shop but no interest yet. Are more people switching to bravos.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by corvetteman
I have that trs setup on swap shop but no interest yet. Are more people switching to bravos.
People interested in TRS parts are wanting them for replacement or spare parts. They been discontinued since '93. In most cases the Bravo is just a more practical conversion.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:21 PM
Registered

Something to think about is if you are looking to make this a correct classic restoration than you would want to run the TRS. Here's some history of Banana Boats.
http://bananaboatco.com/products.htm
Old 03-09-2012, 12:37 PM
Registered

Another vote for the Bravo. Just makes more sense if you already have it.

There are plenty of 24x7 variations that have ran with a Bravo configuration over the years without issue I would say.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.