Bravo 1 HP rating for a "Light Boat" >

Bravo 1 HP rating for a "Light Boat"

Notices

Bravo 1 HP rating for a "Light Boat"

Old 03-12-2012, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bravo 1 HP rating for a "Light Boat"

I have a 21 foot Schiada with a HP500 I'm thinking of upgrading to about 600-650hp. I've read numerous threads on here that the Bravo can live under with proper care and driving at this hp level in a "light boat." So my boat weighs in at 3700lbs empty, would this be considered light? Any insight on what would be required to make my drive hold up would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks
Old 03-12-2012, 08:34 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by farmo83
I have a 21 foot Schiada with a HP500 I'm thinking of upgrading to about 600-650hp. I've read numerous threads on here that the Bravo can live under with proper care and driving at this hp level in a "light boat." So my boat weighs in at 3700lbs empty, would this be considered light? Any insight on what would be required to make my drive hold up would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks
The quick answer to your question is yes. That is a light boat and 650hp is going to be hard on a Bravo. I'm guessing your are thinking supercharger? Light also means easy to get out of the water and if not careful on the sticks spells disaster. I know it is more money but you may want to consider an upgrade like Imco or B-Max.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whippled SBC, 595 HP thru a newer style Swept back Bravo in a 3,000 boat 80 hours on it, change oil often, run a shower and be quick on the throttle or keep the boat in the water, I run only 3 and 4 blade props.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:45 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Lots of thoughts on this one. I know of several boats a bit heaver than yours with 800+hp, Procharged running a Bravo X style drive and they do live. They are driven with respect. There are weak points in the B1, mainly the tower in the case and top cap. Your B1's can be upgraded to steel tower and studded top caps. Drives with OM serial numbers and newer have the X gears in them. X gears are a must for any added power level. Setup is important. Wipple and roots style blowers are hard on the Bravo's, if that is what will give you the added power, then you need to step up to something with better gears, not XR though. If NA motor, then higher rpms with smaller prop helps them live. Just my .02 on the subject.
Hope that helps.
Dick