Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
hinge pin fits loose in new gimbal ring?? >

hinge pin fits loose in new gimbal ring??

Notices

hinge pin fits loose in new gimbal ring??

Old 03-21-2012, 09:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hinge pin fits loose in new gimbal ring??

Ok working on my 94 scarab 29ft twin 350 alpha 1 gen 2 drives. Doing gimbal ring with jr marine kit. start putting back together and noticed the hinge pins where little loose in the gimbal ring i could wigle the bell housing around. so i took them back out and test fit in old gimbal ring and they fit snug. It looks like there is a bushing in the gimbal ring. Can i get diff size hinge pins or what are my options and y is it like this. thanks
Old 03-21-2012, 10:50 PM
Registered

ok so after some research i found that bravo pins have a bigger head that alpha pins. I bought the ring and was told it was for an alpha but the alpha hinge pins dont fit. does anyone know will it work out if i just get some bravo pins to put in it?? are they the same length? The ring looks exactly the same as the one that came off is there any diff. in rings between the alpha and bravo except the pin hole size?
Old 03-22-2012, 04:17 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

ken at nuwave marine used to alter alpha gimbal rings to put bravo bell housings and drives into alpha transom shields. he said all you have to do is take a grinder and open up the big slot at the bottom a little bit for the bravo helmet to fit. you know, the 5 to 6 inch wide gap the drive settles into when tilted down. measure the two and see if same.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:02 AM
Registered

Huh funny that's where I bought mine from off ebay but he told me it will fit the alpha one gen 2 bc I ask forsure b4 buying. Im not at home to measure it but will when I get home. I have an email in to him right now to see what the deal is. What if that gap is diffrent? The ring wont work then?
Old 03-22-2012, 07:54 AM
Registered

Ok measured the old one I have at work called the wife and had her measure the new one and as far as o can tell they are both 4 in give or take a 16th
Old 03-23-2012, 06:06 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

OK, my gen 1 Alpha is about 3-3/4ths inch wide. i remember reading somewhere alpha gen 2 and bravo are basically the same castings. (the 3 big parts of transom assy). Ken is currently selling a pin and tiller arm that he lists as Alpha and Bravo. i think it is possible you got a new part with the hole too big...
Old 03-23-2012, 06:30 AM
Registered

I called ken and talked with him he said that the ring I got is the only ring that is now listed for the alpha 1 gen 2. He knew the ring was updated a little from the original with diffrent bushings and such and it didn't have grease zirts. Basically what we came to is this new gimbil ring requires hinge pins from a bravo bc the pins are just a little bit bigger. I I picked up a few last night and bolted it all together and it all appears to b right.