Notices

Wilson Lowers

Old 04-06-2012, 05:49 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That came out very nice!! How much time into it?
Old 04-06-2012, 06:04 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by wcmarine
we have been down that path and it failed miserably. Most of the castings from the manufacturer are so bad, and with that I mean, not simmetrical, bent and overall out of shape that it makes it almost impossible to cnc them. Like I said, we have been doing this for 25+ yrs. We have been down every road, we have tested every shape, every tool, every thickness and we continue to test new ways to make it better. We will never, however, cut corners to save time and money and risk not putting out our best work everytime. As you all know, it takes no time to ruin a reputation that has taken years to build.
Happy easter everyone!

Craig.
the brackish water here dulls alum quickly, if you were to do my lowers and then i had them polished. Would it lose everything you did to it, or just a small amount from the polishing?
Old 04-06-2012, 06:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by peterunwin
I used a very course flexible body file to remove all the ripples and thin the skegs then finished of with 360 wet and dry lubricated with paraffin

Peter
Looks Great.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:23 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys, It took around 30 hrs to finish both drives that included making templates so that i could match both sides and one drive to the other as they are being used as a pair.

Peter
Old 04-06-2012, 08:04 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 276 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by wcmarine
we have been down that path and it failed miserably. Most of the castings from the manufacturer are so bad, and with that I mean, not simmetrical, bent and overall out of shape that it makes it almost impossible to cnc them. Like I said, we have been doing this for 25+ yrs. We have been down every road, we have tested every shape, every tool, every thickness and we continue to test new ways to make it better. We will never, however, cut corners to save time and money and risk not putting out our best work everytime. As you all know, it takes no time to ruin a reputation that has taken years to build.
Happy easter everyone!

Craig.
When I was in Key West this past year everyone I talked to about WCM said pretty much the same thing, they have a way of making your lower units way more efficient both in handling and speed. That's why I had them do my Scx-4's. They look awesome can't wait to try them.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:21 AM
Registered

Default Drives

Originally Posted by peterunwin
I used a very course flexible body file to remove all the ripples and thin the skegs then finished of with 360 wet and dry lubricated with paraffin

Peter
Your lowers turned out really nice. Did you happen to check the width before and after. I would think you could remove an 1/8th of an inch off of the cases, going by the shavings in the picture.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by J.P.
Your lowers turned out really nice. Did you happen to check the width before and after. I would think you could remove an 1/8th of an inch off of the cases, going by the shavings in the picture.
Thanks J.P. i didn't take any measurements i just picked the worst drive with the deepest angle grinder gouges in it profiled this until i was satisfied with the shape which meant dropping the whole casting face to that of the deepest gouge, then made my templates so that i could match the profile to the others. The transition between the gear case & skeg required a hell of a lot of profiling but i am sure it will be well worth it.

Peter
Old 04-09-2012, 08:58 AM
Registered

The finish we provide lasts longer than most. We havent found that buffing them helps them look better for that much longer and it is a lot easier to get our finish back to almost 100% than it is to rebuff them.

Peter, the drives look nice. However, if the last photo is the finished product I can already see that you havent done much , if any, of the performance enhancing work on them. We do an awful lot of reshaping, and know specific areas where we have to take out and modify. Be very carefull with the Ilmors as they are already a thin casting and they have various oil cooling channels going through them, that already have thin walls.

KW.... I thank you for the kind words. We are also curious to see how they work.

On the Imco drives the results vary so much as they are on so many different boats and different horespowers. We have had as little as 1-2 mph gain and all the way upto 10-12 mph. But on almost most the cases the feedback has been how mucher better the boat planed, cruised, and handled across the board.

As you can see and read, from my fellow brit Peter unwin, it takes a very long time to get them to just look better, then add on to that all the reshaping and modifying we do to them, its not just a "take a grinder to it" job. We have been doing this a very long time. The best of the best use us daily. We pride ourselves on the work we do and put out everyday.

All the best

Craig
Old 05-26-2012, 03:19 AM
Registered

Hi Craig,
The drives weren't finished in the last photographs been busy on other projects. This week i spun up a plastic bush to slide over the propshaft as a guide to reshaping the rear of the housing taking care not to go too close to the circlip recess, ideally i would like to take more material away in this area but i would need to strip the drives and check the wall thicknesses first, i will probably do this at their first tear down and inspection. We will be visiting Florida in October staying for around 7 weeks. My fly-by-wire steering system will be running by then so i will be looking for potential customers, would be nice to call by and say hi, say hello to Mark for us.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails Wilson Lowers-dsc05161.jpg   Wilson Lowers-dsc05162.jpg   Wilson Lowers-dsc05164.jpg  

Wilson Lowers-dsc05165.jpg   Wilson Lowers-dsc05166.jpg   Wilson Lowers-dsc05167.jpg  

Wilson Lowers-dsc05168.jpg   Wilson Lowers-dsc05169.jpg   Wilson Lowers-dsc05170.jpg  

Wilson Lowers-dsc05171.jpg  
Old 05-26-2012, 06:21 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

explain what and how you did the profile proccess with,,,great job

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.