Notices

Alpha 1 to Bravo1

Old 05-15-2012, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alpha 1 to Bravo1

I am new here and look forward to being a member of this board! I currently have an 88 Pachanga with a 454/ Alpha1 combo. I found the twin to my boat with a 502 Magnum EFI/Bravo combo. I do know a little about boats and am a pretty good wrench (I did a few engine swaps on cars and trucks over the years. Put a V8 in a S-10, built a few toys, etc.…). I am wondering how big of a job and if it can even be done to swap engine/drive combos from one boat to the other. I know the Alpha to Bravo is not a problem but I am concerned about going from the Bravo to the Alpha. That’s the one I am worried about. I’m not sure if a lot of transom rebuilding is required due to a larger hole for the larger outdrive? Or is this even worth doing? I am getting the boat pretty cheap and the 502 has less than 15 hrs on it. My boat is in a lot nicer shape than the other…. It’s a lot to think about, just looking for some input.
Thanks,
Old 05-15-2012, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually the outdrive hole is the same size. The bravo has 2 additional smaller holes which would be easy enough to patch.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:51 AM
Registered

That's what I have been reading here. Just wanted a little verifacation. How big of a job is it? Do you have any pointers? Tools I should get?
Old 05-15-2012, 03:01 PM
Registered

Any suggestions on where to look for a good step by step instructions or good information regarding this procedure?
Old 05-15-2012, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm trying to wrap my mind around this...are you downgrading from a Bravo to an Alpha?

Are we to understand you want to put your 454/Alpha Package in the donor boat after you put the 502/Bravo Package in your boat?

When you swap this out make sure you get EVERYTHING from both boats. As far as the transom is concerned on the former Bravo boat all that is required is to seal off two bolt holes that you will not use with the Alpha.

I am doing a twin upgrade now from Pre-Alpha to Bravo so ask away.

Link to my project:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/f...or-update.html

Last edited by sprink58; 05-15-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:49 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to YouTube and do a serch for "Rebuilding Gimble Housing". Several videos there.

Remove drive, remove engine, remove gimble housing. About 2 hours.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by sprink58
I'm trying to wrap my mind around this...are you downgrading from a Bravo to an Alpha?

Are we to understand you want to put your 454/Alpha Package in the donor boat after you put the 502/Bravo Package in your boat?

When you swap this out make sure you get EVERYTHING from both boats. As far as the transom is concerned on the former Bravo boat all that is required is to seal off two bolt holes that you will not use with the Alpha.

I am doing a twin upgrade now from Pre-Alpha to Bravo so ask away.

Link to my project:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/f...or-update.html
Yes, I want to take the 502/Bravo out of the boat I buy and put it in my boat and take my 454/Alpha and put it in the other boat and sell it for hopefully close to what I am paying for it.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by KKPachanga22
Yes, I want to take the 502/Bravo out of the boat I buy and put it in my boat and take my 454/Alpha and put it in the other boat and sell it for hopefully close to what I am paying for it.
OK...got it. This will be very simple. Since you have 2: identical boats all you are doing is a "wrench" exercise.

If I were doing it...I would set up an area so I could stage this operation. You will need a lift as well as one engine stand....preferably two. I would pull the engines and drives out setting each engine up on stands and laying out all of the drives and accessories for each family together. Take pictures of how everything is now that you can refer to later as need be. I would then clean everything including both bilges and probably paint at least my "favorite" boat's bilge. Using the Bravo Transom Assembly...mark the location of the new holes that need to be drilled in the transom of your boat. This would also be a good time to change the water pump impeller on the Bravo Sea Water Pump as well as the drive impeller for the Alpha,

Once you get all this done it's as simple as putting the Transom assemblies on each respective boat and doping the engines in. You will need to purchase a Mercruiser alignment tool to set the alignment of both engines and drives after you set the engines in place. This is a glorified clutch plate alignment tool.

Start them up...check for leaks...adjust the throttle and shift cables and you are done. OH...and post the picture here so everyone can learn from your project.

Compared to the S10~V8 swap this is going to be a bit more labor intensive because you're dealing with 2 boats...but on the up side you will not be doing as much customization with regards to motor/transmission mounts. I've done a S10/350 swap and 3: 350's in Vegas so I can relate.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:38 PM
Registered

Hey Guys,
Thanks a lot for the advice, I really appreciate it! I am a little concerned about doing it but I do have the confidence that I can handle the task. I do have a lot of friends and we all are pretty good with a wrench. I’m just afraid of hoe much beer it will set me back!! Anyway, here’s the story, I found this boat on Craig’s list for 10K, the add said the boat had a 502 and a Bravo outdrive. So I go look at it and I pop the hatch and here it’s a 502 magnum EFI and he says there is only about 15 hrs on it. I can tell because the motor is spotless. I told him 10K is a little more than I want to spend but I would say the boat combo is defiantly worth it. So I low balled him and said I would consider it for 7K, he comes back and says 7500 is his bottom $$$. I didn’t hear it run yet but I plan on it Monday. My 454/Alpha combo only has 260 hrs on it and runs, starts, everything is flawless. I know I am only going to gain about 10 MPH on the top end of mine and I really don’t care much about the speed. I think it would be cool to have EFI and a 502. Do you guys think this is worth my while to do or am I crazy for thinking about it???? I figure it’s not every day that you find the exact same boat with a combo that you would like… There is a fine line between the words want and need!!! Looking for input.
Thanks!!
Old 05-16-2012, 07:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by KKPachanga22
Hey Guys,
Thanks a lot for the advice, I really appreciate it! I am a little concerned about doing it but I do have the confidence that I can handle the task. I do have a lot of friends and we all are pretty good with a wrench. I’m just afraid of hoe much beer it will set me back!! Anyway, here’s the story, I found this boat on Craig’s list for 10K, the add said the boat had a 502 and a Bravo outdrive. So I go look at it and I pop the hatch and here it’s a 502 magnum EFI and he says there is only about 15 hrs on it. I can tell because the motor is spotless. I told him 10K is a little more than I want to spend but I would say the boat combo is defiantly worth it. So I low balled him and said I would consider it for 7K, he comes back and says 7500 is his bottom $$$. I didn’t hear it run yet but I plan on it Monday. My 454/Alpha combo only has 260 hrs on it and runs, starts, everything is flawless. I know I am only going to gain about 10 MPH on the top end of mine and I really don’t care much about the speed. I think it would be cool to have EFI and a 502. Do you guys think this is worth my while to do or am I crazy for thinking about it???? I figure it’s not every day that you find the exact same boat with a combo that you would like… There is a fine line between the words want and need!!! Looking for input.
Thanks!!
What is the difference between your boat and the prospect boat...quality wise? Would it be easier to transform the negatives of the prospect boat than to perform this swap? I can tell you that unless you have the facility as well as the tools and equipment to do this...that this can be a real bear of a job labor and time wise.

Personally...I wouldn't do it unless I had a buyer lined up for the donor boat....You could end up sitting on it for several months before you sell it. You don't state where you are boating exactly but if you are in a seasonal boating area this is the time to be selling...not buying. If you don't have the other boat sold before Labor Day chances are you are going to sit on it for 6~8 months before any interest is generated.

No this for sure...if you do this and expect to have any chance of selling the donor boat you best put it back together with as much care and diligence that you use on you favorite. If you don't it will show in the final product. Also understand that the perfect time to have done this was 90 days ago...not at the beginning of your prime boating season...you could loose the whole summer putting these things together...and how much is that worth?

Last edited by sprink58; 05-16-2012 at 07:23 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.