Shift/Throttle cable adjustment >

Shift/Throttle cable adjustment

Notices

Shift/Throttle cable adjustment

Old 06-01-2012, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 89 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Shift/Throttle cable adjustment

My single engine boat has a single lever control that does both shift and throttle. I think is a Quicksilver/Merc control, Bravo drive.

Problem is, when shifting to reverse the throttle part is too close. In other words, after shifting into reverse the shifter should have a bit more movement after reverse engages in the drive before the throttle raises the rpms. The amount of movement I have is too small and makes it very touchy backing up when docking. Forward seems normal.

How do I and where is this adjustment? In the shifter? At the transom bracket?

Diagram of controls if this helps.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...LAR+COMPONENTS
Old 06-04-2012, 10:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Merc has a special tool for adusting the cable. I only did this when I replaced the cable. It was easy but the drive has to be off to use the tool. I don't about doing this with the drive on.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the adjustment seems perfect but the engine revs before the shifting is finished? This sounds wrong but an old trick is to tighten the throtle cable tighter against the carb idle stop, while the control is using up the extra throtle slack the shift will finish.
Also if you with engine off have someone spin the prop back and forward while you shift slowly. As soon as you hear the clutch touch then stop. Look at the angle of the handle and compare to the other direction. If the handle is not even, move the shift cable to even it out.
The other problem could be the shift interface. On the arm where the lower and front cables connect, there is a top stud and a lower stud on the arm that pivots when the unit shifts. The lower stud which is closser to the pivot is in a short slot , and with the lower shift cable tip off, the stud can be loosened and shifted in the slot. The further from the pivot that you set the stud the further the shift cable will go. Lift the stud and max the travel before balancing the handle.
good luck