Notices

#6 questions

Old 07-12-2012, 12:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default #6 questions

I have a couple questions.

I know the difference between wet and dry sump, and less drag the dry sump has, but is there any other disadvantage of the wet sump? Is the wet sump less reliable, or take less HP?
There are a couple of wet sump #6 drives on the classifieds and was looking at one possibly for a new boat.

The other question I have is, what all is needed to use a #6 drive?
Gimble
transmission
upper/lower
expensive prop

Anything else?

Thanks, Gordon
Old 07-12-2012, 05:25 PM
Registered

Also, is a dry sump setup a big deal to setup? What is required above the wet sump--does there need to be a engine driven pump?
Old 07-15-2012, 09:33 PM
Registered

After reading above, it looks like I made an error. The wet sump would require more power obviously.

But I'm surprised no one has answered any of my questions, at least to the installation.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:25 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

The installation is the same on the wet sump or dry sump ,you need to know wheater you go with a driveline gimbal or a plug in ,plug in is more common for a single engine boat with a #6 , cause the shorter engine /drive package length .
Driveline has a flange and need a double u joint shaft and is used for staggered V ,s to place 1 engine more forward to get the drives close together .
or can be used in a cat with 2 engines if you have clearence problems or want to bring CG forward .
steering is build in in the #6 gimballs.
trannie should also been plug in ,or with a flange when using driveline.
Props are 26 spline ,and are pretty expensive ,but can be found on Ebay ,or here in the classifieds for a lot less .