porpoising bad

Old 07-19-2012, 02:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PM sent!
Old 07-19-2012, 04:21 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

not to be gay is this your first boat? Because if it is maybe your idea of is bad what is normal is skewed. Just wondering not putting anybody down. But I would say your props are about right or at least close enough where it shouldnt be the issue.

The only other things I can think of is your rams are going bad, they might not be bad to the point where you can manually push them up and but maybe under load they are giving some.

Anybody could a soft transom cause this potentially?

Also what kind of waves or weather you in because regardless of boat or lenth enough chop and speed its going to do it. Also sometimes in these boats faster is better. At least on my fountain it hates going 30-35 and its sweet spot is more in the 40 zone.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by tube1
hot java

The drives are all of the way down and when out of the water I made sure that they were down as far as they could be by the distance left on the trim rams
dude??? have you ever drivin a boat before?? not to be a smart azz of trying to cut you doen what so ever...it sounds like you not trimming the drives up after you get the boat on plane and the boat is what they call bow steering and goes in any direction with the waves..espically with those mirage + props which are bow lifting props which is most likely lifting the azz of the boat out of the water and with the trim all the way down is driving the nose too deep and the bow is running too wet..

after you get on plane trim that ***** up until it starts to porpose and bump it down until it stops porposing then hammer it and hang on..get back to us after doing this and let us know if it works for you..if youe really cautious have a friend that knows how to drive a twin engine boat teach you how to drive it...
Old 07-19-2012, 07:02 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
dude??? have you ever drivin a boat before?? not to be a smart azz of trying to cut you doen what so ever...it sounds like you not trimming the drives up after you get the boat on plane and the boat is what they call bow steering and goes in any direction with the waves..espically with those mirage + props which are bow lifting props which is most likely lifting the azz of the boat out of the water and with the trim all the way down is driving the nose too deep and the bow is running too wet..

after you get on plane trim that ***** up until it starts to porpose and bump it down until it stops porposing then hammer it and hang on..get back to us after doing this and let us know if it works for you..if youe really cautious have a friend that knows how to drive a twin engine boat teach you how to drive it...
+1 Mike. If i trim my 255 in"heavy bow"it darts around everywhere...like a top water bass lure.

Seriously...as soon as the bow falls get those drives about a third of the way our and set the tabs neutral...keep the bow out of the water so the boats leading edge is about 25% of the boats length out of the water. Try that and get back.

If that's not it you have some drive/engine placement dynamic issues.

This is not a put down at all...we just don't want you hurting yourself or anyone else.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:42 PM
Registered

Guys this isn't my 1st go fast boat. I just got out of it for awhile (kids) I actually had a twin to this boat just a couple yrs older and it was nothing like this. It was stable throughout the entire throttle range even when I was trimming it out hard for more speed. This one is so much more unstable and porpoises so bad that I was really concerned about dropping the hammer on it. Im going to try pushing the drives out and see if it will push past it. Every other boat that I have ever had if it starts porpoising pull the drive in and it will settle down if you want speed you push the drive out to get the bow to come up. Also though the chine walking starts to get really bad around 3800rpm which equals 50mph it really feels loose and I am comparing this to the last black thunder that I had. Any ideas why the chine walking at such low rpms. And by chine walking I mean alot of side to side motion.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

the boat i just bought had the exact same symptoms.

it was air inthe steering system and it was lettign the drives moves around at will. was very dangerous. my bet is that somehow theres play in the steering.

check it out.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:48 PM
Registered

2ton
That would make sense even a small amount of back and forth would would act like chine walk at low rpm . I will check this weekend and see if anything is loose. Thanks
Old 07-19-2012, 10:02 PM
Registered

Sounds like your gimbals are worn out causing the drives to move side to side on their own
Old 07-19-2012, 10:19 PM
Registered

i had a friend that put a solas 4 blade on his boat and it would porpose so bad it felt like the boat was literly jumping 6-10' waves,,i put a 3 blade back on it and the problem went away..
Old 07-19-2012, 11:12 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

I agree with the thoughts that either theres an issue with the steering or the gimbles. I doubt that chine walk is the issue at those speeds. Thats quite a heavy boat and not going fast enough to get loose in the rear. As for the porposing. I second the bow steering caused by the full trim in. I get a porpose sometimes around 100mph depending on water conditions and load on the boat. Hang on, trim it out and see if you can push through it. Your props aren't carrying the bow, either because of the over trim in or their just not the right props. Are you spinning in or out? Try switching them, I go with in on V's and out on cats but that a pretty narrow ass so out might work better for you till you get your sea feelings back. Just my 2ct's worth.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.