Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Bravo 1 disengages at low rpm??? >

Bravo 1 disengages at low rpm???

Notices

Bravo 1 disengages at low rpm???

Old 07-26-2012, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bravo 1 disengages at low rpm???

Here is a question for the pro's out there. My problem is as follows.... At low rpm it seems my drive kicks out of gear. If I throttle up a bit, it engages. I know this cannot be good on the gears and would really like to isolate and fix the problem ASAP. After the first instance of it doing this, I checked the drive oil reservoir and it was giving me a false high reading.... Sludge in bottom. I put drive oil in it anyways while on the water. Problem still occurred. After I get the boat back to the place I store it, I then pulled the drive to inspect drive shaft seal, bellows, etc. I noticed a bit of drive oil in the bellows. I also cleaned the sludge out of reservoir and then filled drive back up with oil after draining it... (oil looked ok). In the reservoir I noticed condestation which would tell me I need to reseal the drive. Is it possible for the cone clutch to be out of adjustment? I plan on checking my shift cable this week first with the shift cable tool but would really like to know if it is possible for clutch to slip and if so, how to check/fix it.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 07-27-2012, 09:43 AM
Registered

Anybody ever have this trouble?
Old 07-28-2012, 12:35 PM
Registered

If your still running the original 1993 bravo drive the cone clutch might be getting to its limit for wear. The bravo drives don't really have a "shift adjustment" they base everything on true neutral and stroke travel. Might be time to open it up and inspect the cone clutch...
Old 07-29-2012, 10:01 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Pull the back cover and make sure the detent ball and spring are intact. They tend to come apart. Check your cable adjustment for neutral alignment.. Once they lock in gear, it should stay there. If it slips before locking then it can be an adjustment on the cable or the shift fork may damaged. While the back cover is off, check the bolts in the shift rod that hold the shift fork on and the shift linkage..
Hope that helps.
Dick
Old 08-07-2012, 12:42 PM
Registered

Thank you for the replies!! I have checked the spring and ball and all is well there. It is not the original drive so hopefully the clutch is still good. I have purchased the bravo shift cable adjustment tool but havnt had a chance to check it. From my understanding, to properly adjust the cable using the tool, I will have to remove the outdrive. I did not purchase the shift cable locator tool though. I figured I could make one but need to know the thickness of the original merc tool. Does anyone know the thickness of that locator tool by any chance?
Old 08-07-2012, 06:00 PM
Registered

Old 08-08-2012, 09:08 AM
Registered

Thank you very much!!!!
Old 08-08-2012, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by M_norrick
Thank you for the replies!! I have checked the spring and ball and all is well there. It is not the original drive so hopefully the clutch is still good. I have purchased the bravo shift cable adjustment tool but havnt had a chance to check it. From my understanding, to properly adjust the cable using the tool, I will have to remove the outdrive. I did not purchase the shift cable locator tool though. I figured I could make one but need to know the thickness of the original merc tool. Does anyone know the thickness of that locator tool by any chance?
Where did you get the tool from?
Old 08-09-2012, 07:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
Where did you get the tool from?
I purchased the cable adjustment tool on eBay. Cheap piece of plastic but should do the trick. Going to check it all out this evening.