Notices

Swap IMCO SCX for Bravo XR Upper

Old 09-08-2012, 08:13 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Swap IMCO SCX for Bravo XR Upper

Hi Guys,

I have gone through 3 xr drives this year and have got no support at all from Merc. 2 were complete rebuilds and one brand new out of the box. Merc's response was driver abuse.

I am considering changing the Upper gearset from the Bravo XR to the IMCO SCX upper.

My current setup is Merc 600SCI Power, Latham Extension Boxes, XR Drive with Sportmaster lowers.

I'd like to know if ANYBODY has a similar setup and what kind of results they had with the IMCO's.

Also, If anyone has perfromed the swap, some pic's and insight would be great.

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2012, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have all 3 been the same side? What was breaking?
Old 09-08-2012, 09:33 AM
Registered

[QUOTE=MarkDonzi;3772276]Hi Guys,

I have gone through 3 xr drives this year and have got no support at all from Merc. 2 were complete rebuilds and one brand new out of the box. Merc's response was driver abuse.

I am considering changing the Upper gearset from the Bravo XR to the IMCO SCX upper.

My current setup is Merc 600SCI Power, Latham Extension Boxes, XR Drive with Sportmaster lowers.

I'd like to know if ANYBODY has a similar setup and what kind of results they had with the IMCO's.

Also, If anyone has perfromed the swap, some pic's and

insight would be great.

You may want to talk with Chattviper here on OSO. Mark had a 42 Poker Run Addition Fountain with 600's / XR's and went to an SCX setup, so it should be pretty similar. He did however go with the SCX lowers as well, but his 600's were jacked up a little.

With stock 600's, I would stay with SC lowers, the SCX lowers will rob you of some MPH unless you go with the surface SCX -4.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

If I was in your shoes the SCX upper with your sportmaster lower would be a smart choice. You might lose 1 mph but it would be worth it.

If you start breaking lowers you could upgrade to the SCX lower called the #13. It looks like a SC or a SCX-4 lower but is actually a SCX lower. You might lose another 1mph with a lower but could gain that back with WCM blueprinting.

Sorry to hear about your problems. I have been in the same "boat" for years and can not stand the crappy XR gears that Mercury makes! (my Imco SC's eat XR gears)

You have a good running boat not sure the lengthy "dial in process" of the SCX-4 is worth it. The SCX-4 has not proved itself on V bottoms yet. Some boats have run slower, or equal. Thats a lot of prop testing and prop expense for the potential to lose speed or stay the same, and maybe gain strength. (scx-4 has not been out long enough to prove its strength swinging those huge 17" Dia props yet)

Good luck and happy boating
Old 09-08-2012, 12:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 276 Likes on 112 Posts

Save your self alot of money trouble and agervation. Call Reggie or Wyatt at FPM. They will steer you in the right direction. They installed and set up my Imco scx4's this spring. Been boating all summer no problems boat never ran or handled so good. I did have Craig Wilson blueprint the lowers. By the way I picked up 6 mph also. Swap IMCO SCX for Bravo XR Upper-scx-4-sb-side.jpg

Swap IMCO SCX for Bravo XR Upper-water-pickup.jpg
Old 09-09-2012, 05:15 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Have all 3 been the same side? What was breaking?

Broke Both sets of uppers at different time

Broke a gimbal housing which alsoallowed my Hering props to touch and junked n=boyth of them.

Have never had a problem with lower gearsets
Old 09-09-2012, 05:18 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
If I was in your shoes the SCX upper with your sportmaster lower would be a smart choice. You might lose 1 mph but it would be worth it.

If you start breaking lowers you could upgrade to the SCX lower called the #13. It looks like a SC or a SCX-4 lower but is actually a SCX lower. You might lose another 1mph with a lower but could gain that back with WCM blueprinting.

Sorry to hear about your problems. I have been in the same "boat" for years and can not stand the crappy XR gears that Mercury makes! (my Imco SC's eat XR gears)

You have a good running boat not sure the lengthy "dial in process" of the SCX-4 is worth it. The SCX-4 has not proved itself on V bottoms yet. Some boats have run slower, or equal. Thats a lot of prop testing and prop expense for the potential to lose speed or stay the same, and maybe gain strength. (scx-4 has not been out long enough to prove its strength swinging those huge 17" Dia props yet)

Good luck and happy boating
I will be using the SCX upper with my sportmaster lower and keeping the same props, Will the IMCO sccx upper only change my prop RPM?, this is news to me.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:49 PM
Registered

You should be fine with the scx. The larger gears take more hp to turn but it wont be noticable. The lower gears also take more hp plus more drag through the water due to size. Again its very minor especially on a v bottom.

Good luck and please update us on results!
Old 09-10-2012, 07:02 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkDonzi
Broke Both sets of uppers at different time

Broke a gimbal housing which alsoallowed my Hering props to touch and junked n=boyth of them.

Have never had a problem with lower gearsets
you can use your same lowers and just switch to the scx uppers, helmet and stainless gimbal ring.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:52 AM
Registered

Yeah its a good idea while your in there to upgrade to the stainless gimbal ring!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.