Notices

What drive for B28??

Old 10-13-2012, 02:50 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What drive for B28??

Hi all,

As I've mentioned in a couple of other threads I'm getting ready to build my Ocke Mannerfelt B28 over the winter.

My motor is a supercharged 8.2 BBC currently running about 600hp. That'll do for now but ultimately I'd like to make it to 100mph so would expect to need around 750-800hp.

It's currently rigged for outboards so I've got a blank canvas as far as the transom and engine mounting is concerned.

I've currently got a brand new Volvo DP-X drive with props to go on, but I'm constantly being told it's not going to hold up to the power. The boat will be used for heavy offshore along with racing.

I've got a couple of people with V24's interested in the drive, so I'm wondering about changing it before I go and cut a big volvo hole in the transom!!

So what are my options? I don't want to spend a huge amount of cash over what I could sell the DPX for so I'm thinking SSM #3 or similar?

I would love to change to a surface drive, I'm a great fan of simplicity, but having spoken to Ocke he's said he feels the boat 'would be better with a Race Z drive' and I'm not aware of another 28 running surface propulsion of any form.

So what's everyone's thoughts? Am I wasting my time trying to change, should I stay with the DPX? Or do I sell up and buy a 3A, or go against the advice and take my chances with a surface drive (can't imagine this would be wise!)

Thanks in advance for the advice as always!

James
Old 10-13-2012, 03:46 PM
Registered
Gold Member

I also forgot to ask, what are 3A's like to live with? Is it actually possible to get parts still? I'm aware they're discontinued, but then so are my DPX's! What could I expectto pay for a full 3A setup by the time I've got the drive, transom assy, gearbox etc?

Cheers, James
Old 10-13-2012, 04:50 PM
Registered

There are two Bat 28's here in Sweden, both used to be racing and running NA 510's around 800hp. One used to have an SSM V and ran perfectly. It was then rigged with Arneson but was then re rigged with SSM VI. The V was scrapped because of lack of parts and the Arneson didn't fit the application that very well... The VI is a great drive for the boat though.

The other one had a DP-? and held up and ran great.

The SSM one is a carbon fibre/epoxy version and the DP is American built (and heavier).

Both were running around 100mph!
Old 10-14-2012, 03:24 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Thanks for that, great to know!

I have spoken to Christer Lindberg who owns the one now rigged with a SSM VI and he confirmed the boat did not run well with the Arneson drive. Unfornunately he hasn't been back to me to explain why this was.

It's good to know that the other boat was running well with the Volvo drive, was it being used in offshore conditions or being raced? I know the drives on the V-24's are coping well, though I've seen the bushings etc wear quite a lot.

Chatting to Christer, it'd seem he's lost around 20 knots with the VI drive? I'd imagine one of these would be out of my price range anyway?

Thanks, James
Old 10-14-2012, 04:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by larby
Thanks for that, great to know!

I have spoken to Christer Lindberg who owns the one now rigged with a SSM VI and he confirmed the boat did not run well with the Arneson drive. Unfornunately he hasn't been back to me to explain why this was.

It's good to know that the other boat was running well with the Volvo drive, was it being used in offshore conditions or being raced? I know the drives on the V-24's are coping well, though I've seen the bushings etc wear quite a lot.

Chatting to Christer, it'd seem he's lost around 20 knots with the VI drive? I'd imagine one of these would be out of my price range anyway?

Thanks, James
I just heard Christer's dipped the wing at high speed going straight forward and some other scary stuff.

The other one was racing in the same class as Christer's.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:56 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Crikey, not good at all!

I wonder why it was so bad with the surface drive? It seems from the pictures he sent me that he is also running the #VI drive as a surface drive with the prop only 1-2" lower?
Would you know what height he had the #V at? Was it surface piercing? From what I know of the #V, it's too short to be used sub surface.

Would anyone know what differences it would make running a Z drive surface piercing compared to a true surface drive? Maybe it's purely down to being unable to attain a positive trim angle?

All these days I wanted a stepped mono so I could use a surface drive. Now I've finally got one, it'd seem I've bought the only hull design that doesn't work with a surface drive!!

Cheers, James
Old 10-14-2012, 06:46 AM
bor
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by larby
Crikey, not good at all!

I wonder why it was so bad with the surface drive? It seems from the pictures he sent me that he is also running the #VI drive as a surface drive with the prop only 1-2" lower?
Would you know what height he had the #V at? Was it surface piercing? From what I know of the #V, it's too short to be used sub surface.

Would anyone know what differences it would make running a Z drive surface piercing compared to a true surface drive? Maybe it's purely down to being unable to attain a positive trim angle?

All these days I wanted a stepped mono so I could use a surface drive. Now I've finally got one, it'd seem I've bought the only hull design that doesn't work with a surface drive!!

Cheers, James
send u pm about ssm 4