Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Port Drive does not go down?? >

Port Drive does not go down??

Notices

Port Drive does not go down??

Old 10-28-2012, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Port Drive does not go down??

Hi..The port drive on my cig does not go down any more..it is all the way up..and now seems stuck..is it possible for the drive to
have a "point of no return", that someone get's it up so high that it can get damaged?? Thank's for the feedback!!
Old 10-28-2012, 04:07 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Pump running? If motor is running and drive not moving pump itself could be burned up.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:03 PM

Pump is running..but the drive is not going down, just wondering if you can actually damage the drive taking it up to much if that is possible at all? Thank's!

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
Pump running? If motor is running and drive not moving pump itself could be burned up.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by Marzug
Hi..The port drive on my cig does not go down any more..it is all the way up..and now seems stuck..is it possible for the drive to
have a "point of no return", that someone get's it up so high that it can get damaged?? Thank's for the feedback!!
sometimes they get pressure locked meaning when you ran it up all the way it built up so much pressure and when you hit the down switch it binds in the pump..first have someone operate the switch in the down position and you will need to jump up and down on the captivation plate,,this may jar it loose...if that dpnt work try loosening the steel lines at the trim cylinders and push down on the drive again..
Old 10-28-2012, 05:20 PM

Thank's a lot for the tip!!
Old 10-29-2012, 06:34 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

it isn't the drive, it is the trim cylinders. the tilt mech uses a lot more pressure to raise drives, cuz they hafta stay UP against 260 to 600 HP trying to push them down. down takes very little pressure cuz the motors are usually helping drive go down. if (when) a seal in the middle of trim cyl lets go, the down pressure goes thru and fills the up side, which has a lot more-we'll call it leverage. so down pressure is actually raising the drive. first, check fluid level in pump and run up and down. do you hear pump practically stop when it hits the up stop? then pump is doing what it is supposed to. then take pin out attaching cyls to drive. run pump. the one that doesn't go down is the bad one. and i can't stress this enough. the moisture in fluid will cause a sticky spot on the cyl shaft. if left up all winter, they will be stuck there. leave drives down all week when on trailer, and especially all winter...

Last edited by dereknkathy; 10-29-2012 at 06:38 AM.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:43 PM
Registered

It's most likely o-rings in the trim piston, but also the trim pump has relief valves that control the up and down pressures. The "up" is set to 2500-4000 psi, depending on model, and down is like 250-400, again depending on model. So, the down really has very little authority, like liiterally if you are only putting 250 psi on one of those rams, minus the tailrod area, might only be a few hundred pounds per ram.

Some possible things that can happen in the pump:

1) The spring on the relief ball might have fatigued or broken. No spring pressure=no fluid pressure.

2) A piece of debris could have gotten lodged in the relief ball seat, holding it open

3) The pump is out of fluid (below the pickup) If your problem is coming at maximum "UP" this is highly likely, because this is the position at which the reservoir volume will be the lowest (again due to the tailrod volume in the pistons). The way I always fill mine is put the drives all the way down, and top off the reservoirs. That always means you'll have enough fluid, without overflowing.

Some indications: If your oil is foaming at the reservoir after running the pump for a bit, it is probably the relief valve shot. If the motor sounds like it's not "grabbing" anything, your fluid is low.

One thing you can try easily, is swap the hydraulic lines to a different trim or drive pump, and give it a go. That will allow you to see quickly if your problems are with the pump or the rams. If you have a problem in a ram, you really can't tell which ram unless you make up a custom single ram hose set, or test it with other means.

I battled one side of my SSM's for a long time before I figured out that I had both a bad pump, and a bad ram. Very frustrating.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:16 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
sometimes they get pressure locked meaning when you ran it up all the way it built up so much pressure and when you hit the down switch it binds in the pump..first have someone operate the switch in the down position and you will need to jump up and down on the captivation plate,,this may jar it loose...if that dpnt work try loosening the steel lines at the trim cylinders and push down on the drive again..
+1. Absolutley try the bouncing on the drive while holding the down button.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:32 PM

Thank's guys tried the bouncing on the drives already..no result there took of the cylinders now, opend them up replacing the seals, as they did not move at all even when removed and no pressure on them, if that doesn't help that it must be the pump..i guess.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:47 PM
Registered

Default fixx

Originally Posted by Marzug
Thank's guys tried the bouncing on the drives already..no result there took of the cylinders now, opend them up replacing the seals, as they did not move at all even when removed and no pressure on them, if that doesn't help that it must be the pump..i guess.
you literly have to jump up and down REAL HARD..make sure toe solenoids are working??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.