Notices

XR Gear Materials

Old 11-11-2012, 03:43 PM
GAZ
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Smitty
Off the top of my head I don't remember what the alloy is that is used. Like Waconda stated, if you had a failure at 10 hrs and it was installed by a certified registered tech, you have a good case for a warranty claim.

The issue with any XR gears is that there is a stress riser at the back of each tooth where it is closest to the center hub. If exceeding stock horsepower, the clock is ticking away that it will fail.

I am in the process of making a better mouse trap. Un fortunately my progress is slow right now.

The pic shows what I am talking about.

Smitty
The clock is ticking if you have a mercury drive period! My boat has blown two up in 185 hours with stock horsepower. Horsepower has almost nothing to do with it... its torque.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:02 PM
VIP Member

Gaz-

Absolutely correct. As I stated, the stock gear has a weak point. I have 100 hrs on XR's with 850 ft lbs peak torque and have made them live this far by being nice to them and not airing it out. If you are breaking gears with stock power, you may want to alter your driving habits ???

Go back to my first post and look closely at the pic. I will eliminate the gear weak spot. Then of course that will expose the next weak link.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:21 PM
GAZ
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Smitty
Gaz-

Absolutely correct. As I stated, the stock gear has a weak point. I have 100 hrs on XR's with 850 ft lbs peak torque and have made them live this far by being nice to them and not airing it out. If you are breaking gears with stock power, you may want to alter your driving habits ???

Go back to my first post and look closely at the pic. I will eliminate the gear weak spot. Then of course that will expose the next weak link.
IMHO If you can't hole shot your boat with a STOCK Mercury drive/engine combo. That POS drive does not belong on the boat!

Other than that I don't know what could be considered bad driving habits.....It's not like the boat has been anywhere near jumping out of the water and re entering under power.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:43 PM
VIP Member

If you want the rush of a holeshot, buy a true ski boat or jet ski. Doing a holeshot from rest is clearly the reason why you are breaking drives. It is OK to go full throttle once the boat is ON TOP OF the water.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:05 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

I'm no expert but I would think that during a hole shot in any outdrive equiped boat, that over time some component will eventually fatique, Not the Crankshaft, but anything other parts are fair game, Couplers, u-joints, drive internals, prop blades, add in a heavy boat with a single drive, something will fail sooner than later. once again I'm not a mechanic! but!!!
Old 11-13-2012, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

smitty,it also appears to me that the cases can flex a lot when power is applied[holeshot],this can cause gear contact area to change,making the problem worse,what are your thaughts on this?