Arneson or IMCO help?

Notices

Arneson or IMCO help?

Old 11-07-2012, 08:05 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Arneson or IMCO help?

Looking for some input on which which drives I should put on my boat this winter. Donzi 38 ZX Daytona with HP500EFI. I run in the ocean exclusively so 2-3 swells are commonplace. I had a couple of different drive failures in my 175hrs this summer and do not want to have a repeat next season.
I am going to be putting Whipple's on as well. so power will be up in the 750-850 range.
I have had some correspondence with Arneson so I know they are 23k each.
I have not talked with IMCO about the SCX yet but that was my other option.I have read some posts where people say the SCX costs you speed. That would seem to going backwards to me.
I am looking for some input from those experienced members as to which drive will be easier to set up or is it just going to be a process either way. And not really looking to cost myself any speed, so input from som SCX users would be nice.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:51 PM
Registered

Received 260 Likes on 92 Posts

Honestly any time you make a major change there is going to be some dialing in. Nothing is just bolt on and go and the boat runs exactly like the factory rigged it.

The Arneson is a great drive. Rik also gives great customer service.

The SCX is proven to be a great drive on V-bottoms when rigged like a standard submerged drive, not a surface drive. (running Bravo style props) It might slow you down at least 1mph.

The SCX-4 has NOT proven it self on V-bottoms to increase speed or handling.

The set up and dial in of the Arneson and SCX-4 will be the same. You will have to find the perfect prop and perfect drive height to gain the most speed and handling.

Since you are increasing the Horsepower the SCX will also take some time to dial in. You might have to space the drive up or down to find the sweet spot. Also might need and Standoff/extension box. PLUS you will have to prop test anyways for the increased power. The bravo style props are less expensive but the technology of the surface style props you will run on the Arneson are worth every penny!

Don't forget that the SCX might seem less expensive up front, but remember you should upgrade to the IMCO HD stainless gimbal ring, helmet, and resovior, stand off/extension box. You might also end up blueprinting the lowers at WCM to gain some speed and handling!

Arneson comes with ALL new parts from the engine back. New hydraulic steering, new trim cylinders, new Stand off/Extension box. You can also sell your used parts. So overall the price difference is so close that your decision will not be priced based unless you add in props. So the SCX will be less but only due to props, the SCX-4 will cost about the same since it uses same surface style props as the Arneson.

How long you plan on keeping your boat makes a difference also. By the time you upgrade engines and drives you could buy a used boat already done.

Good luck and enjoy. Keep us updated!

Last edited by offshorexcursion; 11-07-2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:19 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

And the scx's will still need routine inspection and gear replacement. 175 hours in one season?!?!? Lucky man go with the arnesons and not have to rebuild every year.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 276 Likes on 112 Posts

[

The SCX-4 has NOT proven it self on V-bottoms to increase speed or handling. [/QUOTE]

???? Don't know where you come up with that. I installed SCX-4's gained 6 mph at 400 less rpm. Boat handles like its on rails. No motor changes just drives and props. Mercury hp gimbal is fine, all the bravo offshore race boats use them with no problems, you will have to use Imco helmet with their drive.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:06 PM
Registered

No offense to your boat or project but 1 boat is not proof. There are many others who have not had the same luck as you.

Very glad that you had good luck and thank you for sharing. You also had the lowers Blueprinted by WCM.

When myself and others call Imco that own a V-bottom, Imco steers us away from the SCX-4 and toward the SCX.

Yes the Hp gimbal is "fine", but they have and will fail. Thats why IMCO and X-Power make an upgraded version.

Last edited by offshorexcursion; 11-07-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:35 PM
Registered

KWright

Again, no offense, I appreciate you sharing your build.

You forgot to mention that you also lowered your windshield which gains top speed.

You had Reggie dial in your fountain, which is awesome, but I Bet thats not cheap.

You had WCM blueprint your lowers.

You originally claim your boat went 90mph then lowered it to 88mph before new drives. 93mph with SCX-4. SO 6mph might be stretching it a little.

Either way, your boat sounds sweet. We all appreciate your thread and enjoy seeing you successfully upgrade boat and enjoy using it.

I do agree your drive upgrade was a success overall. I personally might not have gone the same directions but thats ok, differences is what makes boating so great.

Just don't want others to think the SCX-4 is a simple and inexpensive bolt on that gains speed. NO drive upgrade is.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:27 AM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's not forget the speed increases with the Arneson's. Anywhere from 5-10 mph on same horsepower. So if you are adding more HP, that boat will be well into the 100's
Old 11-08-2012, 07:36 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 276 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
KWright

Again, no offense, I appreciate you sharing your build.

You forgot to mention that you also lowered your windshield which gains top speed.

You had Reggie dial in your fountain, which is awesome, but I Bet thats not cheap.

You had WCM blueprint your lowers.

You originally claim your boat went 90mph then lowered it to 88mph before new drives. 93mph with SCX-4. SO 6mph might be stretching it a little.

Either way, your boat sounds sweet. We all appreciate your thread and enjoy seeing you successfully upgrade boat and enjoy using it.

I do agree your drive upgrade was a success overall. I personally might not have gone the same directions but thats ok, differences is what makes boating so great.

Just don't want others to think the SCX-4 is a simple and inexpensive bolt on that gains speed. NO drive upgrade is.
It is probably the most simple upgrade of them all. No pulling motors, No gel work on the transom, ect ,ect.

Yes I did have a short windshield installed, was able to afford it from all the money I saved from having Reggie dial in my boat! Yes Reggies labor rate is no higher than most boat shops.
Yes WCM did blueprint my lowers, something that should be done on all HP drives. They don't just sand them it is a craft learned over many years of trial and error. trying to copy it is like turning yourself loose on a new set of alum. heads with a dye grinder. If anything my success should be merit to that!
No matter what route the op decides to go, My advice is to talk to people that have done upgrades learn from their experiences. Then get professionals to help you with your project, Your right it is more than just bolting on parts!

Now back to building my new motors now that I have a setup that can handle it!
Old 11-08-2012, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Kwright, what was your total expense minus the windshield? In just curious if you don't mind. A local guy had fpm raise his x 5", install the cat killer strainer and pickup, and new scoops on his hatch. I heard the boat is on rails after they set it up but the price I heard (3rd party) was $$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 11-08-2012, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any 38 donzis out there to compare to ? thats like where are the fountain arneson boats ???? I know they had to build 1 or two but you never here how they perform .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.