Need your help on XR lowers advice

Notices

Need your help on XR lowers advice

Old 11-09-2012, 02:33 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need your help on XR lowers advice

Hi all,
I've got a Spectre SC32 with Ilmor 625s and Bravo XR sportsmasters.

The lowers didn't blow but I pulled them down and the gears are all losing the case hardening and the shafts are twisting.

they have 100 hours on them. Not sure if they have seen a rebuild before either.

Do I rebuild -

Or buy new much stronger lowers. 1.35 gears in mine.

If buy new, what do I get and where? I am in Australia and noone has fast boats here other than the odd small ski boat.

I shop in the US. hence need your help please big time.....

Cheers

Last edited by Australia; 11-09-2012 at 02:37 AM.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:36 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

How did the uppers look? I'd be surprised if there are not issues there as well. You have some options. You can rebuild if you don't mind 100hr. rebuild. There are stronger options at a higher price that will work without rerig. IMCO SCX, X-power, B-MAX. I know that Auberlen used an X-power on the 32's with great success. This option may be the most durable and a sure bet with good performance but it is the most expensive. I have run the SCX's with 1070hp for two seasons with good results and they are less money. The only issue with them is that you will need to run them surfacing for them to be efficient. This will require SSM props and knowing the ideal prop depth.(I'm sure Spectre can tell you this number and the right diameter, pitch, rake) B-max is a good option with the new owner. I don't know if the BMax lowers are any stronger than the XR's now though.
My 2 cents is that I would go with a stronger option than the Sportmasters if you are planning on keeping the boat for a while and don't mind spending the money on it. I'll let Offshoreexcursion chime in here and tell you that Arneson's are the way to go.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:22 AM
Registered

No plans of ever parting with this boat. Its perfect. The drives will annoy me though. I just bought a beautiful pair of Hering props which are perfect.

Is there a better option than the sportsmasters that will simply bolt on in replacement and take my props ? Thats the key questions.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:15 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Thanks for thinking of me!

SkiDoc makes a good point about how much succes Bill (owner of X-power) has had with his Drive rigged on a 32 Spectre cat. I also have personally seen the X-power drive on a skater run the past 2 years at the boyne thunder poker run without any problems. Very interesting drive. Wish the price was lower but then again if its a great as they say then its worth it.

Arneson is a good option, especially if you plan on keeping the boat. Overall the best band for the buck. Proven strength. Fast.

SCX (Wilson Custom Marine Blueprinted lowers) Easiest and Lowest cost.

SCX-4 (WCM lowers) Similiar cost to Arneson

Don't feel the B-Max lower which uses bravo grears will be enough strength improvement
Old 11-09-2012, 02:23 PM
bor
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default arneson

the arnesons are a real nice piece ,maybe not the easiest way to conver the boat for them but you will certainly no speed !!

and if you ask rik here I m sure he set you up whit all info you need on them .

And the best of all there s a set in your country for sale !!!

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o47721-en.html

looks like a good deal to me !!
Old 11-10-2012, 04:45 AM
Registered

I think the X power could be the go. Bill sold me my boat and its beautiful. I'm sure if he's behind the X power drive and he hasn't had a problem with 1500HP + then they are worth the dollars. The dollars though are scary...
Old 11-10-2012, 11:13 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Talk Bill into a deal on a pair! Then be the first to build twin turbo ilmor!
Old 11-11-2012, 10:24 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Bmax has a new owner and new processes. They have changed alot since the new owner took over. They offer much better options now. It would be worth a call to speak with the new owner about your options for making a bravo survive.

Last edited by QWKRN U; 11-12-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:19 AM
Registered

How about a pair of IMCO SCXs complete ? Would they fit straight on? FYI I already have a pair of the stainless gimbal rings from Bill that are unbreakable. My boat also runs IMCO steering and IMCO extension boxes.

I just want it to be reliable. not too concerned about the cost. Service and price are both important but reliable boating is number 1....
Old 11-18-2012, 05:52 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

You need an SCX helmet and bigger drive reservoir to add them. I think the SCX would be very durable on your rig. As I said before no issues on mine which has a lot more HP. You might need to go with a higher prop shaft height to get the case out of the water. If you spin "Bravo" props out of the water, your propeller blades will be the weak link. I would find out where your shaft depth needs to be with #6 props. The SCX is already shorter by 2 inches than a standard bravo lower. If your going to need to go higher your will need to get a SCX-4 and space down to the correct level. Prop selection should be easy as I think Auberlen will know.
I think the bottom line is that the SCX could be what you need for the durability that your looking for but you have to accept that it will come with the possibilty of money and time to optimize your set up. I was in the same boat. I talked to the people at DCB and Imco and pretty much nailed it. I was able to try mine with SCX bravo lowers and SCX #6 lowers. The #6 set up was superior.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.