Notices

surface drive

Old 03-21-2013, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@PRIMECUT;

Not yet, but very soon. Next week must arrive new shaft and teth wel for rotated engine and than we put them together, paint and start with exhaust pipes, bigger oil coolers and other small parts like belt transimition for water pump stering pump etc.

Last edited by sinus; 03-21-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sinus
@PRIMECUT;

Not yet, but very soon. Next week must arrive new shaft and teth wel for rotated engine and than we put them together, paint and start with exhaust pipes, bigger oil coolers and other small parts like belt transimition for water pump stering pump etc.
Sounds like you have your work cut out for you ,coming together nicely.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:48 PM
Registered

I guess I'm looking for input from Rik on this but all input is appreciated. I have a 1999 Baja Outlaw that I got carried away with and now have 1000+ hp and was interested in a Bravo conversion. Never seen a surface drive on one of these but what do you think. Thanks
Old 03-28-2013, 08:09 PM
Registered

Sinus,

Awesome project. Just a couple of questions about the propulsion. Did you consider running dual (separate) 'Busa engines for ease of manuverability with 2 drives? Or were losses through the drive or possibly packaging a concern? Also, have you considered turbocharging? From what I've seen in the dragbike world (apples to oranges, I know) the engine responds very favorable to boost when properly built.

Just curious, best of luck with your development.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:45 AM
Registered

Smile

Hello;

- our first idea it was two Bravo X, for each engine one, but later we decide to go on efficiency. One surface drive is far better than two Z drive for same power. Same time we have engines on the bottom. At two Z drives they are at least 40 cm higher and this is not good. Same time they are out of centre close to chines and this is not good to.
Maneuverability it is excelent with one drive too. I do not know what is with one Arneson, but probably the same.
At each Z drive you loss cca 8-10%, than you have losses of two propelers, two submerged drives... With one surface drive like our you have cca 2-3% losses at ZF?, 1,5% losses in MSA drive and losses from one piercing labbed Maximus.

- turbo charger? No, it is to dangerous for fire, but super charger yes. We will not do this, becouse of efficiency. Each charger take more fuell consumption for same power. Not on top end, but at cruising speed.
Busas are good with chargers until cca 450 bhp. For more you need expencive parts and there is better to buy one light V10 Ilmor.

- yes, this engines are excelent for boats in my oppinion. They are from top class materiall, top class construction and finish. Newertheless have medium speed of piston smaller than at big block, even at double rpm! Both together, with coolers and with ZF 63A are under 440#. All this with 380 bhp at old and more than 400 bhp at new busas if you made properly intake and exhausts. If you calculate this with weight it bring same "power" like 50-80 bhp stronger big block! Torque curve it is fantastic and cruise speed not depend of engines, but only from boat construction and your whishes. Fuell consumption you could compare with the best diesel if you compare same boat with same speed. In few examples you beat diesel. Diesel consump specific less fuell/hp, but it is heavier, for same speed you need more hp and at the end you are on cca same level. Woice of 10.500 rpm is good to.
Our boat it is probably 1000# lighter than with big block if you calculated engines and lighter boat construction round of engines.

Last edited by sinus; 03-29-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:02 PM
CRG
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yes Car Biz, this boat had a long ride from Washington state to Dallas, to Pa. Got it up and running last June
Old 04-01-2013, 11:09 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CRG
Yes Car Biz, this boat had a long ride from Washington state to Dallas, to Pa. Got it up and running last June
Awesome i always though that was a kickazz rig congrats!!