Bravo XR. VS.  SSM#3 ? >

Bravo XR. VS. SSM#3 ?

Notices

Bravo XR. VS. SSM#3 ?

Old 02-18-2013, 11:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bravo XR. VS. SSM#3 ?

Looking for info on wich one would be better in a race application or extreme duty sort to say, hooked to a 525 efi in a 24ft Pantera, would a bravo xr or a ssm#3 work better?

I Do understand there is a weight factor with running old school ssm stuff, but do they hold up better to punishment then a bravo xr?

If I did go with a bravo xr, would I pull out a few more mph out of the boat with shaving the weight?

I plan to raise the X factor on the boat 1.5 inches if going this was as well running a junction box with either set up I may end up with.

Any input would be great. Please let me know If I need to clarify any questions.

Thanks again!
Old 02-19-2013, 07:15 PM
Registered

no response, i was waiting to hear what they had to say. I think u pretty much answered your own question and the 525 would b fine with the xr, but what do i know. Try asking in the Pantera forum, there was a post about a ssm3 on a 24 not to long ago.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

No doubt in my mind a standard #3 will hold up much better than a xr. A 3A drive, not even comparable. Back in the day, the #3 was rated to 650HP I believe. The 3A 750HP. However, nobody broke 3's with 650, and nobody broke 3A's with 750's. People do break xr's with 525HP.

There is definitely a big weight difference. The speedmaster setup will be much heavier for sure. I'd talk to pantera about it. The speedmaster will move some weight forward in the hull, which may or may not be good. The transmission required moves the engine about a foot forward in the bilge.

In a 24ft boat that will race some rough water,(airing out a lot) i'd look at the ssm setup. I think you'd get more time between freshen ups, and be able to finish the race without breaking things.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:26 AM
Registered

Go for the 3A!

I don't like the glass XR's, you can't rely on them since it's not a matter of IF they brake...
Old 02-20-2013, 06:15 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Bravo will last even if raced, if done properly. The SSM 3 will be slower and handle worse (prop torque). The CG of the boat will present other challenges. Buy an IMCO SC we have raced them for years.
Steve