#4 Speedmaster Gear Ratio

Notices

#4 Speedmaster Gear Ratio

Old 03-22-2013, 07:25 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default #4 Speedmaster Gear Ratio

As most of you know gears for the 4 & 5 uppers are hard to come by: Question, someone rebuilt a upper using a 16/21 gear count = 1.31 ratio, the other upper is 15/20 gear count =1.33, lower on both 1.125.
Being the power is evenly match, has anyone used a ratio this close and was there any RPM spread, the props are matched and ran even RPMs prior to this. Maybe I am splitting hairs, matched gear sets are like props and matched engine power.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

My guess is it would be a minor variance, very minor. maybe 50rpm? But, just a guess.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

i agree,most marine tach,s it would be hard to see a 50 rpm difference from one to the other,and engine load will be almost identical.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:25 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
My guess is it would be a minor variance, very minor. maybe 50rpm? But, just a guess.
That's the question, how much? By the time you figure slip.
This is on an older 33" Executioner, came with TRS back then, changed to #4 back 8-10 yrs ago. X # was in the TRS location. It has been moved up about 2 ", so now we changed everything. Same power 780 @ 6200, now the RPMS will increase and 1 drive is slightly different. I know the props will need some tweaking, but now the props will have to adjusted for gear ratio.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:29 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

If you have a chance; check all the different ratios that were available. The gear counts are close. Why would MERC offer so many ratios?
Old 03-22-2013, 09:50 AM
Registered

Default gears

if you want answers to you questions call craig corabella of corabella performance he was aperformance drive guy at lake x really knows thoose drives
Old 03-22-2013, 11:18 AM
Registered

Is it standard or counter rotation? We need the details to solve the mystery!
Old 03-22-2013, 04:01 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by runninragged
if you want answers to you questions call craig corabella of corabella performance he was aperformance drive guy at lake x really knows thoose drives
I spoke with Craig, back at the beginning of this. I called; him to find out if he had some 1.33. The gear that is a 1.31, is from the guy; that purchased the molds and tooling from MERC. I was just trying to get a heads up on the difference in RPM, the drive guy's answer is bend the prop. My customer would have had no problem buying a matching gear set for the other. It's just screwed up to me. Guess we will what and see.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by yschmidt
Is it standard or counter rotation? We need the details to solve the mystery!
You have been out of town to long! Get some rest over the weekend, and ask me that question Monday

Wasn't it your boat, the one that someone installed the drives on up-side-down, that you had to drive it with scuba gear on??
Old 03-22-2013, 07:42 PM
Registered

Default 1.31

I hate to disagree guys but the gear ratios need to be exact. Years back a friends boat had 1.58 on one side and 1.50 on the other. It never handled right and would sometimes roll side to side(the diff was only a couple hundred rpm)....guess what fixed it? The next winter he had the uppers matched up and she tracks straight well past 100mph now. The difference in acceleration from side to side I believe can mess with a boats ability to "set" correctly. just my.02. I also have seen super fast skaters dial in some handling issues by adjusting throtle cables to pull exactly even. Your 1.33 upprer has helical cut gears for the #3 and #4. Your 1.31 drive has the stronger #5 straight cut design that GK makes to put in the older SSM's. Guess it all depends what you are doing. Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.