Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Gear Lube in Bilge >

Gear Lube in Bilge

Notices

Gear Lube in Bilge

Old 05-09-2013, 05:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for the replies. The reservoir is a little wet underneath it, but no signs of dripping. But I filled it up last week before leaving to go to work (I travel) and when I got back today the reservoir was empty...the boat hasn't moved. I'm going to follow the hose on down to the transom, hopefully thats all it is.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I had a reservoir that was leaking like that, couldn't see any dripping but was running down the front of the engine. I put a paper towel under the reservoir overnight just to verify where it was coming from. Replace the reservoir. Randy
Old 05-11-2013, 01:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Aaron J
Thanks everyone for the replies. The reservoir is a little wet underneath it, but no signs of dripping. But I filled it up last week before leaving to go to work (I travel) and when I got back today the reservoir was empty...the boat hasn't moved. I'm going to follow the hose on down to the transom, hopefully thats all it is.
Same issue I had with mine, ended up being where the sensor wires come up through the bottom of the bottle.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:52 AM
Registered

If the leak is down at the transom it could be the 90deg Q fit conection easy fix part number MC- 861163 .
Old 05-11-2013, 06:14 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had unknowingly dropped the gasket out of the resevoir cap which caused it to leak like that. Found the gasket laying on the bilge floor. Simple but took a while to figure out.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:52 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

+1012 Pinion seal. Been there, removed the drive and it was evident. Don't waste your time chasing it.
YOu will need a special pinion gear wrench or take it to a technician. Don't take chances. YOu might have a leak in the bellows and the U joint may be corroded also. REMOVE THE DRIVE>
Old 05-12-2013, 07:06 PM
Registered

the hose has quick connect at transom, hose goes over top of drive shaft then 180's to quick conn. it is just above water inlet, tight spot, since they worked on bottle hope it came loose. if not.upper seal. best.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PARADOX
+1012 Pinion seal. Been there, removed the drive and it was evident. Don't waste your time chasing it.
YOu will need a special pinion gear wrench or take it to a technician. Don't take chances. YOu might have a leak in the bellows and the U joint may be corroded also. REMOVE THE DRIVE>
It was the pinion seal, Thanks everyone