SSM #5 drive intall >

SSM #5 drive intall

Notices

SSM #5 drive intall

Old 07-18-2013, 11:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SSM #5 drive intall

Ok here my problem I have a single engine 28' boat with a 2spd bam trans. I'm going from a #3 drive to a #5 to raise the X dir mension on it.
I never R&Rd a SSM drive before but I have done several alphas and bravos!
can someone please coach me on how to install a SSM drive into a transmission since theres no gimbel bearing to help guide the shaft in once the yoke has started to enter the drive bell I cant figure out how to align the input shaft!! after several hrs I gave up
Old 07-19-2013, 05:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just get a long screw driver and move things around til it goes. Haven't found an exact science yet.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rbesola
I just get a long screw driver and move things around til it goes. Haven't found an exact science yet.
I have done the same thing... pack a cooler for the frustration next time... :-)
Old 07-19-2013, 03:40 PM
Registered

You can wrap the universal in tape to hold it straight also
Old 07-19-2013, 06:42 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Do you have the guide spring on the back of the transmission? That helps guide it into the trans.

Also, keep in mind when your installing, its not like a bravo as far as spline engagement. The female coupler in the trans turns freely. So sometimes if your trying to spin the propshaft to line the splines up, you may be turning the coupler at the same time. You almost have to try to get it in, then back it out, spin shaft, try again, etc.

Ive done the masking tape on the u joints before, and its helped. Crude, but the tape doesn't hurt a thing.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts

I feel your pain, I struggled to muscle it till my back gave out, then my buddy came by, hes an engineer who sits in an office and never has done anything labor intensive in his life and he just slides in it nice and easy, sometimes I guess it take a bit of finess I guess.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:29 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 7 Posts

When I had a set of #5's on my Cigarette I used a set of drive stands that had a little hyd. jack built into the base to raise or lower the drive. They worked perfect for storage and inst. of the drives. Contact Richard Rentschler @ RCR Metal Fab. #219-923-9104 or #219-808-6268. He has them for sale in the classifieds in "other parts and accessories" section. E-Mail / [email protected]. The ones that he shows, in his ad, are different than the ones that he sold me for my #5's. Ask him if he still makes the #5 model. You won't be disappointed. They were great for instillation and storage of the drives.
Gary Kollofski

Last edited by RMPRam; 07-20-2013 at 05:32 AM.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:50 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

The spring on the end of the tailshaft is supposed to help line up the input shaft. Make sure there are no burrs on the input or tailshaft. It is a pain in the a$$. One of mine went right on, the other side fought me, took a a break then it slid on also. Tape and a cooler helps...

How are you supporting the drive? I use an engine hoist or my overhead beam to support it. If its cocked it will fight you also.

Last edited by bobkatz; 07-20-2013 at 07:53 AM.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:00 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the advise guys.
I used a fork lift to hold the drive up then took two small snap on screw drivers one on each side of the so called donkey dick i ran the lift while a buddy used the screw drivers and walah in she went!!
Old 08-14-2013, 10:22 PM
Registered

Default 28' single engine #5 setup

Has anyone ever ran a 28 ' magnum style hull with a SSM#5 drive on a singe engine making big HP ? If so where do I start with the prop? The engine is a 540 ci BBC W/twin turbos running 10-15 lbs of boost. The prop shaft centerline to bottom of keel is 1 1/2" the boat is setup with K-Plane tabs and full hydraulic steering. Boat weighs in at 4,500 lbs and the engine is in the 1,100 hp range. drive ratio is 1.34 engine RPM is 5,800-6,000 with rev limit at 6,500 I have discovered that the props for this drive can get rather pricey so I'd like to see if anyone has a good idea of where to start. I'm going to try a merc 5 blade cleaver 16% rake 18" dia 31 pitch just to see what it does. Any impute here would be great thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.