question for owners with extension boxes >

question for owners with extension boxes

Notices

question for owners with extension boxes

Old 09-16-2013, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question for owners with extension boxes

this off season I am pulling my starboard motor(hp500). my boat had extension boxes on it when I bought it but I can't find any markings on them to tell me what brand they are. my question is, whats the best way to remove the driveshaft that is bolted to the flywheel on the back of the motor? all the other boats I have puts motors in I have always pulled the drive and the shaft pulled out of the rubber hub that was bolted to the flywheel. in this case even if I pull the drive, the shaft wont pull out because its bolted directly to the flywheel with a u-joint and yoke like a car. no rubber hub. next time I am at the boat I will take some pics of the boxes while on the lift and see if anyone can help me identify the brand. I would love to know more about them.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:14 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

your description sounds like stellings boxes.to remove the driveshaft you remove the side covers and gain access that way,i used a half inch impact swivel on a 12 in extension ande a breaker bar.keep in mind that the center support bearing needs to be greased every now and then,i used to grease mine every 20 to 25 hrs.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:41 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Stelling x2
Old 09-17-2013, 11:23 AM
Gold Member

Definetly stellings, and plan on cleaning a few times after you grease. There's no room to unbolt from engine compartment side? My motors are moved forward so I have a bunch of room that's why I ask
Old 09-17-2013, 05:05 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

There is a retainer/seal arrangement that keeps the male portion of the shaft from coming out of the
female portion of the shaft.
It is threaded on to the female portion of the shaft, you can lossen it and the male section ( which is
relatively short) will slide right out of the female section.

When putting it back together, you have to make shure you get the u-joints in the proper phase.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:13 PM
Registered

thanks for the info guys. there is a little room behind the motor but im not sure if I can get something in there to loosen the bolts on the yoke. I might be able to unbolt the motor and move it forward slightly to get better access. I hadn't really thought of doing that. just because im curious I will probably remove the side covers on the boxes just to see what is on the inside. I would guess some kind of bearing to support the driveshaft is in the box near the drive? are there any issues I should be aware of if they are indeed stelling's?