Notices

bravo re-install

Old 09-21-2013, 10:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bravo re-install

i pulled by bravo drive off my tantrum a few months ago to pull the motor . got the motor re-installed last week with the exact same mounts , coupler , spacers etc . we tried to put the drive back on today but its not slipping all the way on . it will start over the bolts but will not go the last 3/4 inch or so .by looking at the grease on the splines it looks like its starting in the coupler . also the prop wont spin once we get it started .... any ideas ? i know someone out there is going to say i have rotten stringers and my mounts arent right , my stringers are fine so dont feel the need to tell me otherwise . i appreciate any help
Old 09-21-2013, 10:39 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Offshore style mounts? Could loosen them and hang the motor while sliding the drive on or drape a rag over the drive to protect it and hit it with a big block of wood. Sometimes it just takes a little force. The "dream" of it sliding right on doesn't always happen.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:05 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

does the alignment tool go in and out easily??
Old 09-22-2013, 01:26 AM
Registered

Check the alignment with the tool like phragle said. My friend had the same problem this past spring. Looks aligned but it isn't. The gimble bearing might have moved a little and it is preventing the drive from going all the way in. Doesn't take much. Just an idea. Good luck.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:15 AM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by lil red
Offshore style mounts? Could loosen them and hang the motor while sliding the drive on
Had my engine out 3 times in 4 years.. lol. Red is likely correct here, your rear alignment is probably off a bit, try lifting it a with a bar or something.. I forget a thin washer they'd used on my rear mounts and drive wouldn't go on. Looking thru the gimbal with a flashlight revealed the alignment problem, checked in the parts box and BINGO, problem solved.

-K

Last edited by kidturbo; 09-22-2013 at 02:18 AM.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:10 AM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

ok I think your stringers are rotten,,,lol,,

had that happen numerous times,,if its just the last 3/4" that wont go in most likely its the 2 larger o rings on the shaft binding when they hit the gimbal bearing,,
you can verify this by removing the o rings and try installing the out drive I bet it will slide all the way in,,,I just start a nut on each side and slowly tighten evenly and it goes right in..
if it was the alignment you would not be able to push the outdrive that far in..
the prop does not turn because your in gear
Old 09-22-2013, 07:52 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Did you replace the gimble bearing too? Are you sure it's seated all the way? This will also cause the same condition.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:36 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Try using scotch brite pad and polish the drive shaft where the gimble bearing sits .
Old 09-22-2013, 08:42 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If the alignment tool slides in and out with TWO fingers the drive will slide right in also. YOU should NEVER have to force it on. If you have to use force something isn't right. Engine couplers are not cheap and the engine has to be removed to replace it.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Seeing as you removed your engine there is a good chance your coupler is not aligned properly and is stuck. Slide your alignment tool in and bang it on all four sides with a rubber mallet to set it in position. This should allow your bar to slide with just two finger. If is is still tough to move, put alittle film of grease on the end and slide it in and out with out rotateing, this will show where your splines are hitting and which way the engine has to move.
If you dont have an alignment tool, DON'T INSTALL THE DRIVE!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.