exhaust water leak help please

Notices

exhaust water leak help please

Old 09-24-2013, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
Would probably work. You better have a LOT of confidence in that "cap"
Yea I know and thanks! I will change it every 6 month to prevent a disaster anyway is inexpensive and fast to replace besides sooner or later I was going to go with the loud exhaust
Old 09-24-2013, 08:10 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 770 Likes on 352 Posts

I still think I'd fix it the proper way. If you've got the drive off and the engine unbolted just yank it and undo the 10 bolts holding on the transom assembly. Then out on an actual block off plate and go with your thruhull exhaust
Old 09-24-2013, 09:05 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

This is all you need to fix it right . You may be able to get it on with just the engine pulled forward . http://www.mercruiserparts.com/showS...sp?pn=861776A2This is what you use when using through hull exhaust . Pull the y-pipe off and install this . I'm sure it comes with a new o-ring too . Part #11 here . http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...EXHAUST+SYSTEM

Last edited by the deep; 09-24-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:55 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

NO! NO! NO!!! there are 2 other exhaust vents on bottom of transom assy. if you wanna go thru-hull, you must remove engine and install block-off plate. i bought my Nova twice. first time was for that very reason. guy tried to seal exhaust from outside when block-offs were rotted through. didn't work. i dragged it home and replaced the engines that failed the float-test. he tried to caulk the 2 vents after putting a ferko (that is home depot plumbing stuff) pipe cap over hole exhaust tube goes on. if you MUST try it, your only chance is to get a big pipe tap for the 2 vents and thread pipe plugs in there. you don't need to remove transom assy to do it right. y-pipe or block-off bolts on from inside. 4 bolts. stainless 1/2 12 point head. or are they 3/8ths? don't break them...if you have a cherry picker and can't get motor all way out, pick it up and swipe a small pallett or a 2 or 3 2x4's and drop motor on them at floor level. ok, miami. anybody in s. florida have a merc y-pipe this dude can get cheap?

Last edited by dereknkathy; 09-26-2013 at 11:04 PM.