steering loose gimball ring alpha >

steering loose gimball ring alpha

Notices

steering loose gimball ring alpha

Old 09-23-2013, 06:02 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default steering loose gimball ring alpha

messing with shift cables and boots and i move gimball ring. about 10 degrees slop side-side. maybe a lil more. square steering pins loose in the gimball ring-both drives. there are 2 bolts on top of the ring either side of the pin.can these be tightened? that much? thanks.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:01 PM
Registered

Received 48 Likes on 14 Posts

The torque on the upper clamp bolts is 25 ftlbs and are a common area to loosen. I'm not sure that gets you where you need to go.....The tiller arm is commonly loose inside the housing with the two dimples at top of housing used to drill access holes to remove and replace arm via locknut removal (not sure if thats what you are referring too...)

Lane

Last edited by 28 V; 09-23-2013 at 11:02 PM. Reason: sp
Old 09-24-2013, 05:25 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

this is enough play between the square pin and the gimball ring that i could hammer a wood chisel into the gap to shim it. it woulda been nice if merc built these so they could be serviced without removing everything from the boat...25 ft lbs? that's why i stopped tightening when i got no change and asked...
Old 09-24-2013, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 48 Likes on 14 Posts

Bummer...my drives seem to be ok there..but have needed the arm fix....sorry to hear that...I've seen a few posts here over the years regarding broken clamp bolts .