Quarter sized hole in imco lower >

Quarter sized hole in imco lower

Notices

Quarter sized hole in imco lower

Old 12-06-2013, 02:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quarter sized hole in imco lower

I have an imco lower unit and was looking it over after running. I noticed on the right side of the drive below the cavitation plate that there is a quarter sized hole in the casing. I lost no oil with this but know this is not normal. I can look in and see casting marks and there is casting mark on an inner section directly behind this hole that looks to be the same size. Anyone have an idea of what this is or what happened? I was thinking grind it out and maybe do some welding to repair this thing.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:40 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call IMCO before you do anything..
Old 12-06-2013, 05:52 AM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

On the forward section of the lower, there are casting plugs. If the case is clean and polished, the plugs become virtually invisible. When the lower gets some wear on it, especially in salt water, you can easily see them. They are about the size of a quarter. Is it possible that one of these plugs fell out? Can you post a picture?

Last edited by Vinny P; 12-06-2013 at 05:55 AM.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:14 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with Vinny, casting plug, you can see where they are welded on the inside. I would call Imco.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:33 PM
Registered

Thanks guys. I will post a couple pics this weekend. My first impression was something like that due to the perfect size and shape of the hole. Fully intend to contact imco next week. Nice to have such a knowledge community to help each other out.

Joel
Old 12-17-2013, 05:19 PM
Registered

Ok, Guys. Got some pics of this hole. Any ideas or fixes?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]514417[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]514418[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Quarter sized hole in imco lower-outdrive-041.jpg   Quarter sized hole in imco lower-outdrive-042.jpg  
Old 12-18-2013, 06:22 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Well, you got me on that one. To the best of my knowledge, there is no casting plug in that spot. I dont know why there would be a hole there. Even though this is a very long shot I can speculate... Keep in mind it is very difficult to tell from a picture, My guess is that hole may be the spot where the vertical shaft lower bearing is located. If someone rebuilding that lower had a problem getting the cage of the bearing out, especially if the Imco bearing had been replaced by a Mercury bearing, in despiration, they may have drilled through the case to help get the cage out. The other possiblilty that comes to mind is the bearing failed and damaged the case, forcing someone to repair the case with some welding. In either case, maybe the weld didnt hold?

Last edited by Vinny P; 12-18-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:15 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Vinny, I think that hole is forward of the vertical shaft.
Bones, can you measure from the front edge of the housing back to the center of the hole. I have an new Imco lower sitting here. If I had the measurement, I could look to see what is inside at that point. That may tell us something.

Dick
Old 12-19-2013, 01:51 AM
Registered

Thanks for taking a look guys. So far not what I wanted to hear. I will get some measurements today and see if something can be figured out. I will say that when I look in the hole there is nothing inside and that no oil has leaked from the drive from that point. It seems like this is just an empty cavity. I don't know at this point, but hoping I can weld instead of ordering a new imco casing.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mr Gadgets
Vinny, I think that hole is forward of the vertical shaft.
Bones, can you measure from the front edge of the housing back to the center of the hole. I have an new Imco lower sitting here. If I had the measurement, I could look to see what is inside at that point. That may tell us something.

Dick

Dick,

The hole is about 7 5/8 for that leading edge just above the upper portion of the curve that leads to the cone directly inline the hole. Any input and advice is appreciated.

Joel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.