Notices

Low outdrive oil

Old 03-16-2014, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Low outdrive oil

Hi, everyone -- YES SPRING IS AROUND THE CORNER

I noticed in a number of pasts posts that some have had an issue with outdrive oil disappearing-- nothing in the bilge or leaking out of the outdrive. Ok here is what I have

I have a Cobalt 226 with a 7.4 MPI with a Bravo III Outdrive. 300 hours

1. I had the engine coupler go out last season and had to replace that as well as the drive shaft. -- that's too long of a story...

2. While the engine was out I had them go thru the entire outdrive and replaced all the rubber, gimbal bearing, trim indicators etc. I even had the outdrive pressure tested-- and all was well. We took it out for a test drive and it ran perfect. I had it winterized and put it in storage. I stopped by where the boat is stored today just to look around. When the boat went into storage the oil reservoir was full. But today I noticed that it really dropped. There is NO oil anywhere to be seen, leaking out of the outdrive, in the bilge or anyplace that I can see.

What I'm guessing is that it could have been an air pocket that finally worked its way out of the system. I won't know that for sure until we get the boat back in the water -- If it still gets low I'll speak to the marina and most likely just keep it full and wait until time to have the outdrive serviced.

Any input would be helpful

Take care!

3pointstar
Old 03-18-2014, 06:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be cautious about just filling the reservoir and waiting to service. A buddy had same issue and kept filling bottle each time out. Drive eventually locked up and he found an inner seal blown and all the fluid was collecting inside the drive bellows and being forced out when under pressure.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

It is normal for the level to drop some over the winter if the gear lube was changed at winterization. Top it off and then keep an eye on it. If it continues to drop during the first few runs of the season then you may have a propshaft seal (very common on BIII's) or other leak.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:04 AM
SRQ
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X2 what Knot 4 Me said.

Down in the lower latitudes where its a bit warmer we don't see that as much but Knot 4 Me is spot on
Old 03-18-2014, 11:36 AM
Registered

Received 243 Likes on 130 Posts

Temps will make the level vary.
Expand and contract.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:03 PM
Registered

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

I checked mine yesterday in the Chap and it was empty???? Had outdrive off this winter for service. I need to double ck whats in the bellows!
Thanks for the heads-up Fast and Loud!