anyone running full synthetic gear lube in their outdrives >

anyone running full synthetic gear lube in their outdrives

Notices

anyone running full synthetic gear lube in their outdrives

Old 04-07-2014, 09:44 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 07DominatorSS
"Clinging" gearlubes is exactly what you DO NOT want on your gears. Lucas is a big proponent of this type of advertising, and it is completely the opposite of what you want a gear oil to do. The clinging of gearlube leads to excessive heat throughout the gearcase and on the gears themselves, and a condition known as fluid friction. You want gear lube to on attach to the load faces of the gears and then fall off, leading to cooler temperatures. Why would you want gearlube anywhere but the load faces of the gears?
I would think you would, seeing that merc gear lube has "tackifiers" in it. If there is one company out there that does some serious r&d I have to give it to mercury. There is also a reason they didn't want to use synthetic motor oil and stuck with the 25/40 that they have had forever. Just my 2 cent
Old 04-07-2014, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I never understood why mercury recommends NOT using synthetic engine oil.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:49 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

would synthetic be over kill in a stock 502/bravo?

Originally Posted by Borgie
Fwiw most including mobil, Amsoil, redline NEO motul don't state the specific additives they use. Lubrication Engineers uses an additive that helps the cling and "climbing" ability of some gear oils. One of these is actually used in the power producing windmills located outside of Palm Springs California. The stuff is simply amazing to see in action.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:52 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

because they make a ton of money selling the nitch market 25w40!
Old 04-07-2014, 10:08 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
because they make a ton of money selling the nitch market 25w40!
Cmon, mercury marine would never do that! They don't care about profits, they care about your engine! Just like when they mark up the price 300,400,500% from the parts they outsource. The 525EFI heads are my favorite. Lets work out a deal with Edelbrock, so they change out the exhaust pattern a little. This way, if anyone cracks a head, they have to pay our prices, rather than go to Edelbrock for a replacement. Or sell a 400 dollar Dart intake manifold, for 1800 bucks. Well, the blue paint has to be worth 1400 bucks right?
Old 04-07-2014, 10:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stimleck
would synthetic be over kill in a stock 502/bravo?
No. Why would you think that? Boat motors and drives are beyond perfect candidates for synthetics. You are running those motors in 5k rpm range quite often, hence they are under extreme stress and temperatures. Synthetics would only benefit you. They will lower operating temps, and lower operating temps means less friction. Less friction, longer component life.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:10 PM
Registered

Has anyone tried the Joe Gibbs Driven gear oil in their drive? I'm curious how the mpao oil which is supposed to be in all their oils does being that it's supposed to be thicker?
Old 04-08-2014, 10:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by timjschmidt
Has anyone tried the Joe Gibbs Driven gear oil in their drive? I'm curious how the mpao oil which is supposed to be in all their oils does being that it's supposed to be thicker?
MPAO is actually an Exxon Mobil technology not JGR. In some formulations it does lend to a more viscous oil, and it has a high VI(viscosity index) which is good. However, I think everyone gets hung up on the base oil and not what additive system is being utilized. Look at most of the group III synthetic oils on the market now and compare them to the PAO synthetics of the late 80's early 90's. The modern oils that are "wanna be" synthetics (note the sarcasm), blow the older PAO oils away in every category. The reason? Additive package coupled with a inexpensive base oil that offers what PAO bases do and more.

There's no magic oil. Some better for a given application no doubt, however if the design is bad (ie bravo outdrive) failure will only be merely "postponed" by the best suited lube and aggressive maintenance. Modern automotive oils have evolved so much in the past 20 years, there is little room for improvement in "wear prevention" dept if you will. Oil formulators accomplished that many moons ago, and it doesn't have to be "synthetic" either. Synthetic oil does not automatically equal less wear. Unfortunately it's much more complex than that. Today formulators are replacing ZDDP and blending very light weight oils in the name of fuel economy, however they are doing it while still preserving the anti wear characteristics, along with extended drain capability, given we are discussing the proper application.

Last edited by Borgie; 04-08-2014 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 755 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I never understood why mercury recommends NOT using synthetic engine oil.
Because at the time they didn't offer one themselves. Now that they have a synthetic oil it is the bomb!
Old 04-08-2014, 11:30 AM
Registered

Most of the base oil technologies are from the major oil companies, that's old news. Their R&D teams have bigger budgets than the entire company's budget for Joe Gibbs Driven. But when professional race teams use these in their rear ends that are being used and abused on the race track, it makes sense to gravitate towards what they are doing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.