Notices

Drive oil

Old 05-04-2014, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive oil

Any opinions on drive oil other than mercury high perf for speedmasters out there?
Old 05-04-2014, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just like engine oil, a lot of opinions. Search and you will find many opinions.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:53 PM
Registered

Let me rephrase the question then, has anyone heard/experienced anything good or bad about amsoil?
Old 05-04-2014, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 5's on Boxes
Let me rephrase the question then, has anyone heard/experienced anything good or bad about amsoil?
I'll rephrase the answer, lots of comments about Amsoil, just search.

I run the Severe Gear along with many others.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:02 PM
Registered

I did do a search and I found a thread from over a year ago. A lot can happen in a year, new technology, new products, new opinions, etc. I was kinda looking for a bit more info than your "do a search" twice. Thanks for trying though.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:30 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

My new boat has #5s so also curious what fluid to run.

I do believe that the Amsoil severe gear is better fluid then the amsoil marine gear oil. either 75/90 or 75/110 I doubt you can tell a difference in weight besides in your imagination.

I personally ran the Amsoil severe gear in our Imco SC drives but half of the decision was based on the great success I had running that fluid in the rear end of my cummins rams that haul over 25,000lbs daily with ZERO rear end failures between 5 trucks and over 2 million miles. The other reasons I like the Amsoil severe gear...easy to get in my area, buy in bulk in a 5 Gallon, use the same fluid as the trucks, write off on my business!

I personally believe that any good fluid will be fine and you will not notice a difference between one good sythentic fluid vs the other.

Many people rave over the Bravo Shops privately branded version of "neo" oil.

The fluid to watch right now is the NEW Mercury Racing outdrive gear lube that they now recommend in the #6 and M8 instead of the previous Torco http://www.mercuryracing.com/blog/vital-fluids/
Old 05-04-2014, 06:55 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Which drives do you have? lol Just kidding.

When it comes to the SSM III IV V drives, with guys running big power, I have heard amsoil severe gear is good stuff. I've also heard guys who have ran alot of power thru them, in extended offshore running, have had good results running 75w140 instead of 75w90.

I have never used NEO oil, but people rave about it. However, considering you need a 5 gallons to change the oil on a pair of SSM IV/V drives, I am not interested in spending almost 500 dollars on gear lube every spring.

This year I think I am going to try the Mobil Delvac full synthetic or Conoco Phillips full synthetic. The Conoco is approved by Eaton Roadranger, Rockwell Meritor, Dana axles for their 500K mile drain interval warranty. If its good for 500k miles in a semi truck differential and approved by those guys, I'll take my chances. Either one of those you can buy for around 160 bucks for a 5 gallon pail.

http://www.petroleumservicecompany.c...gear-lube.html

For the most part, I think oil "brand" is alot of marketing hype. Oils that cost 3 times as much as the next, rarely perform 3 times as good. I personally would rather use a name brand, decent priced, quality synthetic gear oil, and change it every spring, rather than run a real expensive specialty gear oil, and try and make it last 2 seasons. The SSM V is a very stout drive. Brand of oil IMO wont kill it. What will kill it, is lack of oil, or water contamination, or plane old abuse.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I ran Mobil Delvac 75 80 last season in my XR's with fantastic results. -Tried all the wonder lubes mentioned. Very impressed with Delvac.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Biggus
I ran Mobil Delvac 75 80 last season in my XR's with fantastic results. -Tried all the wonder lubes mentioned. Very impressed with Delvac.
I think thats what I am gonna use this year Kurt. I know you said you liked it. I've always been a fan of Mobil products too.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:46 PM
Registered

I could probably go buy 55 gallon drums of Fleet Lube at 5 bucks a quart, throw some cool color dye in it, maybe Blue dye, everyone likes Blue stuff. Then rebottle it in a fancy bottle, call it "EXTREME OFFSHORE RACING GEAR OIL", and sell the stuff for 15 bucks a quart in the oso classifieds, and retire at the age of 35.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.