Bits of rubber coming out Alpha water intake >

Bits of rubber coming out Alpha water intake

Notices

Bits of rubber coming out Alpha water intake

Old 07-16-2014, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bits of rubber coming out Alpha water intake

So I was working in the driveway today and hooked up the muffs to my Alpha one. I've been having warm running issues and wanted to check some things. It started up and got up to 200 quickly, so I shut it down. I pulled the muffs off and founds bits of rubber pieces in there. I figure this is parts of my impeller. I guess the guy I bought the boat from lied when he said he just did the impeller last year!!

Looks like I'll be pulling my lower unit and installing an impeller and housing kit!!

I have the book and it seems pretty straight forward to do the impeller. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have some guys that say to take it in, but I feel I can accomplish this job.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:21 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Jonesyfxr - Don't be too hard on the prior owner -- A couple of years ago - I had a marina replace an impeller- I got about 3 hours on it before the housing (defective) went bad - engine temp got warm and had to have it re-done. What could have happened is that some folks instead of replacing the entire impeller assembly just replace the impeller - penny wise pound foolish. I never had the guts to do the work- I was always worried about sealing the lower unit.

good luck

3pointstar
Old 07-16-2014, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Its not that bad of a job. If you have the drive tilted you can probab;y do it without even pulling the drive. I have done it that way on prealphas.. be careful there is a little oring inthere for an oil passage. learned that the hard way when I did a prealpha, put gear lube back in it and it leaked all over me. Should take you less than an hour.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:00 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Piece of cake. Be sure to flush your hoses and drive to get all the old pieces out.
I changed both my impellers with the boat on the lift
Old 07-16-2014, 11:42 PM
Registered

be sure to flush the whole system to remove the rubber parts. ive had my engine driven impeller fail twice in the last 3 years and the water always pushes the rubber up to the oil cooler and stops it up reducing the flow and causing higher than normal oil temps. i always pull the impeller and then try to flush to find all the parts of it
Old 07-17-2014, 02:28 AM
Registered

I will pull off the intake hose at the engine and back flush the intake hose, I already planned on doing this. I'm going to order up the whole impeller kit and have a friend help me do the install.

Any certain things I need before I get started?
Old 07-17-2014, 07:05 AM
Registered

every boater should at least know how to change oil,winterize,and change water pumps or have lots of money to pay others to do a routine job
Old 07-17-2014, 07:16 AM
Registered

Received 1,211 Likes on 582 Posts

Simple job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiCgHTrMKTw