Imco louder than Bravo XR?

Notices

Imco louder than Bravo XR?

Old 07-20-2014, 10:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Imco louder than Bravo XR?

Hi-
I have a new-to-me boat running an IMCO SC outdrive (behind a 540 N/A) and am wondering if they are typically louder than a Bravo XR. I have a fair bit of experience with the XR's in a variety of applications but have never had an Imco. From my experience, the XR's are a bit louder than the standard Bravos due to the straight cut gears. The Imco has a pronounced whine to it and is clearly much louder than the XR's I've run. I don't know the history of the drive but it was supposedly freshly rebuilt. Also a different boat with a stiffer lay-up so that might be contributing? I have not done any checking of the fluid or magnets just yet but other than the louder (than i'm used to) whine, it seems to be working just fine. Thought I'd throw the question out there to see if this was typical between the two. Any experience or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 07-21-2014, 02:10 PM
Registered

The SC uses the same straight cut gears as the MERC XR. I would think sound would be compartible all other things being equal as pinion depth tolerences etc..
Old 07-21-2014, 04:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Cobra100+
The SC uses the same straight cut gears as the MERC XR. I would think sound would be compartible all other things being equal as pinion depth tolerences etc..
Thanks Cobra
Not having experience with these drives and considering it is new to me but used, I'm just a bit paranoid about anything that sounds different. I did talk with a friend who has had both and he indicated that his Imco had a noticably louder whine to it than the XR he is running now.
Hatch on this boat does have engine compartment vents with straight earshot to the transom assembly do that might be some of it too.

Probably going to have a look at the magnets before going out again....

Appreciate the response!
Old 07-21-2014, 11:23 PM
Registered

I can hear my buddys SC over his exhaust. I've found them to be louder.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by launchpad475
I can hear my buddys SC over his exhaust. I've found them to be louder.
Thanks Launchpad,
That's three out of four who seem to have the same experience.
Still going to check magnets but it is good to hear as though it seems to be the case!
Old 07-22-2014, 09:34 AM
Registered

By all means pull the magnet check for fuzz and or metal. If you can pulling the drive and removing the pinion gear shaft assembly is not difficult and will allow you to visually inspect the the pinion gear and both driven gears for pitting or damage if you think there may be a problem. Otherwise go enjoy your boat!