Notices

Drive leak

Old 08-19-2014, 04:23 PM
Registered

Received 4,323 Likes on 1,241 Posts
Question Drive leak

I know this is a tough one to answer over the interwebs but I keep losing fluid in one drive. #4 with extension boxes and expansion bottles. The oil in the bottle keeps draining and I`m finding oil in the middle of the extension box.
I filled the bottle with red trans fluid to see if I could find the leak on the hose leading to the drive but no luck. When I drained the drive the trans fluid came out of the drive.
It leaks just sitting still.

The bellows doesnt feel like it has any fluid in it (in case its the rear seal)

I don`t know enough about how the extension box is set up to know what it could be.. stuck a mirror in there and looked all around couldnt see any leaks .

Any ideas?
Old 08-19-2014, 10:48 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, no idea if ur post even makes sense ...ur avatar pic seems to disconnect my reading capabilities every time...
Old 08-20-2014, 06:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had the same issue, but I don't have boxes. It was the seal and it had "eaten" all the grease out of the gimble bearing also. Wasn't a big deal but went ahead and did the bellows and shift boots.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:39 PM
Registered

Received 4,323 Likes on 1,241 Posts
Thumbs up

Another one in the win column, turned out the front yolk seal worked its way almost out and was leaking around the outside diameter.
With the help of a fellow OSOer (BIG AL) I took the drive apart, fixed it and enjoyed a great weekend on the water. Last time I checked it all my fluids were still good where they belong...(not in the extension box)

While I was at it I switched the drives to turn OUT and get myself some nice rooster action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWh_ZKb_w10