Notices

DriveGuardian

Old 12-24-2014, 09:06 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,071 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by SS930
I wouldn't think so. It looks like it's nothing more that a multi-disk clutch pack so all you'd have to do is tighten or loosen the stack to adjust the friction so they slip at a predetermined level. The design looks very simple and honestly it's so simplistic and obvious that I SMH that I didn't think of it, lol!

Congrats to Mike, it looks like a great product and I'm sure it works as intended (if properly set) to some degree!
More than "to some degree", at least on our setup. It's a win/loose difference for us, especially in big water. All it takes is one hard landing to chip a gear and bada boom....we lose.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am liking this product. Have a 30' cat with high x and 750ish hp a side with xr uppers on boxes. Had to rebuild both drives last season. Maybe this will help them live longer. When planning I have blowout and grab scenarios with 5 blades so I'm sure that's not easy on the uppers and shafts

Last edited by Eliminated572; 12-26-2014 at 06:32 AM.
Old 12-26-2014, 11:04 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,071 Likes on 283 Posts

I'm sure it will help, especially being on a cat, with high X-Dimensions.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

Cool product. The physics behind it seem to make sense, the two gripes I have are:

1. Cost. Seems like to get a twin bravo setup is in excess of 5k. This doesn't include the cost to remove engines and install. That's a lot of dough and a tough pill to swallow as this product is considered preventive maintenance.

2. While I'm sure the product works, in essence you have added another wear item. As I understand it correctly it would have to get replaced every 6-7 years depending on engine rebuilds. Although I'm sure the cost to rebuild the drive guardian is cheaper, the product doesn't fix the fact that straight cut gears wear regardless of reduced loads or not. In approximately 150-200 hours the gears likely need to be replaced any way as a result of friction and contact forces. So the consumer is out 5k for the guardian and another 2-3k for bravo gears. for me I rather take the chance on gears save my 5k for the next 150 hr rebuild
Old 12-26-2014, 03:31 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1MOSES1
Cool product. The physics behind it seem to make sense, the two gripes I have are:

1. Cost. Seems like to get a twin bravo setup is in excess of 5k. This doesn't include the cost to remove engines and install. That's a lot of dough and a tough pill to swallow as this product is considered preventive maintenance.

2. While I'm sure the product works, in essence you have added another wear item. As I understand it correctly it would have to get replaced every 6-7 years depending on engine rebuilds. Although I'm sure the cost to rebuild the drive guardian is cheaper, the product doesn't fix the fact that straight cut gears wear regardless of reduced loads or not. In approximately 150-200 hours the gears likely need to be replaced any way as a result of friction and contact forces. So the consumer is out 5k for the guardian and another 2-3k for bravo gears. for me I rather take the chance on gears save my 5k for the next 150 hr rebuild

Actually, the cost for a twin Bravo setup is just under $5K. I think most people would be installing them at engine rebuild time, or if there was another failure such as a blown coupler that required pulling the engines. DriveGuardian replaces the stock rubber couplers which are wear items, cannot be rebuilt, and typically get replaced with each engine rebuild. BTW, a pair of stock rubber couplers with steel hubs cost $1,560 which is significantly less but not exactly cheap either.

DriveGuardian does not require any routine maintenance and can be completely rebuilt but most applications are not likely to ever need it. Each torque-spike will cause the clutch to slip less than one revolution before it is suppressed and the clutch re-engages. By comparison, that wear is a tiny fraction of what the clutch in a car at rush hour in bumper-to-bumper traffic experiences. And automotive clutches last for tens of thousands of miles. In addition, DriveGuardian uses Kevlar friction material that lasts 3-5 times longer than the materials commonly found in automotive clutches and brake linings.

No doubt, all gears will experience wear but I think the point of DriveGuardian is to have a drive last long enough to actually wear it out instead of having to replace broken parts. If that isn't an issue for your application then saving you money for new gears is a good plan.

GF?

Last edited by Got Freedom?; 12-26-2014 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just brought our drive up to Saris Racing Engines to be checked over before the start of the OPA season. Gears, shafts and bearings are all in great condition. They don't show any more wear than you would find in normal use. Of course, we are not a candidate for normal use. Would recommend the Drive Guardian to anyone looking to protect their drives under extreme use.