Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Drive discussion: trs.  3's. And 5's >

Drive discussion: trs. 3's. And 5's

Notices

Drive discussion: trs. 3's. And 5's

Old 01-02-2015, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 4,234 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Thats right Big Al is building you some nice power, I forgot.
If you know anyone who could do some glass work for you I`d go for the SSM route.
PM Mild Thunder on his experience with Konrad.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:03 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

3's and 3a's are 24.311 input to output, I'll have to look but 4's and 5's are 18.6 I think
Old 01-02-2015, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff32
But what about transmission? No one seems to care about having trannies! That is what i had problems with! That is what i would get rid of and make me go bravo!

When you want to check transmission fluid, you need to have the boat level up to a certain point, oil warm so running engines is a must, then when you turn the ignition off, you have to litterally run down to tranny to check oil level before it goes back in the cooler and level runs low...

Thats a pita in itself imo. Still for those drives even if trannie needed? What do you guys do with those? Keep a spare trannie as well?
first, i can think of 6 reputable businesses that can rebuild ssm drives or trs. second, your trans problem more than likely goes back to your trannie. i'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you have the old style merc trans, they are very weak and will continually give you problems. btw, you shouldn't be using trans fluid either, i don't check mine all that often. i have broken plenty of trs and merc trannies. i don't have much good to say about either. they will hold together if you run them easy but a trs is by no means stronger than an xr or x drive, hell, i would take a standard bravo any day over a trs.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:58 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
was originally looking to do a pair of 525SC clones, had them on the 38 Donzi and i really liked them. Now doing 540 AK Racing "Bravo punishers" with hopped up Merc 500EFI stuff that dyno'd right around 640hp and 700+ tq. My boat is a Bravo HP boat and was fine but with the new setup gotta start thinkin ahead. The Konrads would be fine and i have faith in them for this setup if i go that route, more then any Bravo variant anyway. Just thinking out loud at the moment and exploring the options.

what are the input shaft to output shaft dimensions (vert distance) for the SSM3,4 and 5?
love it, you will have some great motors there, Big Al will take good care of you, if you come up to visit let me know ill join you guys for a beer
Old 01-02-2015, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good thread, gonna have to keep an eye on this. My 38 Scarab is getting fresh "drive killer" power that will most likely make small parts out of my standard HP Bravos so i need to start looking at real world options.
I'm in the same situation as you, Dave. I'm boring out my 33 Scarab's HP500s to 540s, shooting for around 600hp. A little worried about my standard bravos, but tentatively planning on just buying a spare one and sticking it in the garage in case something happens. Some guys are saying the bravos will be fine, others are saying it's going to be a mess....not sure what to do.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:31 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 259 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by lil red
3's and 3a's are 24.311 input to output, I'll have to look but 4's and 5's are 18.6 I think

what would be the dif in 4's and 5's? I have had several SSM 38 Scarabs in the shop and they were all number fives.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 01-02-2015 at 10:36 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 364 Likes on 243 Posts

So, a konrad drive is similar to the 3-4 and 5's, but just the newer technology? Meaning younger drives?
Old 01-03-2015, 12:00 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 259 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff32
So, a konrad drive is similar to the 3-4 and 5's, but just the newer technology? Meaning younger drives?

something like that, in that they are all stand alone drive and separate trans. Personally I think shifting a trans around a dock is way better then shifting a drive.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 01-03-2015, 04:22 AM
Registered

Received 2,831 Likes on 951 Posts

You guys are funny. Finding parts for 3's 3a's 5's is no biggie. Just have to make some calls. Any reputable mechanic would be able to locate whatever you need. But the main thing is, SSM's rarely break. Ran my 3a's for 7 years pretty hard without a hiccup. And that was with drive shafts that were pretty beat up because the previous owner let the boat sit on a lift with the props on. The props need to be removed after use because water sits in the inner shaft area where the teeth are. Teague quoted me 1500 each for prop shafts. Parts on SSM's aren't cheap but like I said, they "never" break.

You keep saying money isn't the issue and if that's the case just step up and buy some 6's and never look back.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:52 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

what would be the dif in 4's and 5's? I have had several SSM 38 Scarabs in the shop and they were all number fives.
5 is the same dimensions, just bigger bearings, shafts and gears inside. Some people with 4's just call them 5's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.