TRS Splined yoke slop >

TRS Splined yoke slop

Notices

TRS Splined yoke slop

Old 01-12-2015, 11:17 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike77
I wonder what the purpose of that extra o-ring is?

Thanks for the update,
Mike
Could be so it could also be used with a different style trans tailstock. I know they had more than one tailstock for them velvets. Just a guess.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:28 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Very true . Hoping he tells us what kind of boat it is
Old 01-13-2015, 09:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by airjunky
Very true . Hoping he tells us what kind of boat it is
85 34' Scarab
New yoke on its way. I think the bearing was seized up due to seawater exposure through split bellows. Outer bearing race did not spin in the tailstock.

Is it acceptable/possible to use automotive equivalent replacement u-joints, or is it necessary to use Quicksilver or marine parts if the u-joints need replacing?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 01-14-2015, 11:35 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I've read somewhere that you should not use an automotive replacement u-joint in a Mercruiser set-up, but honestly I can't imagine there is any difference. They certainly aren't made out of stainless steel. Anybody ever had any experience with this?
Old 01-14-2015, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you did you would want to be sure you got ones with grease zerks. Manual calls for greasing every 100 hours or at least every season. Also states as IMPORTANT, use only 2-4-C Multilube, therefore you would want to clean the grease out of them and replace with this Merc grease.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:25 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Never tried it but the jet boat h bars take 22$ a pop spicers no articulation but more often then not at less than ideal alignment and take some punishment . If there is a cross reference it may not be easy to find .i know i wouldnt even try to google it . But if i had "the book " .... i could do some damage
Old 01-15-2015, 08:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by picklenjim
If you did you would want to be sure you got ones with grease zerks. Manual calls for greasing every 100 hours or at least every season. Also states as IMPORTANT, use only 2-4-C Multilube, therefore you would want to clean the grease out of them and replace with this Merc grease.
The u-joints are in great shape but I have no idea how old they are. So as piece-of-mind insurance I picked up a pair of Sierra u-joints from West Marine tonight; and a tube of the 2-4-c to go in the grease gun. They were just shy of twice what it would cost online from other sources, but that's the price you pay when you need it here now. ;-)

Mike