Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Oil Problems in newer Bravo (metallic colour)!!! >

Oil Problems in newer Bravo (metallic colour)!!!

Notices

Oil Problems in newer Bravo (metallic colour)!!!

Old 01-31-2015, 07:39 PM
GAZ
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandonb_05
So would you recommend torco rtf for a bravo?
No I dont know if it would be the right lube for a bravo drive. Someone on here smarter than me maybe able to suggest one. I'm just saying IMCO recommends the Torco and I have had a great experience with it so far.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:01 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandonb_05
When you say Mercury drive oil does that include the quicksilver drive oil to? What type do you use?
They are the EXACT same lube with a different label
Old 02-01-2015, 02:13 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
Thanks for your meanings! The oil in my drive was high Performance from Merc!The heany green one!

Also i say that last dealer mount the magnet in the wrong hole on upper and at downside in lower where drain oil out, was no magnet only the screw from upper air hole!

I make now and small but powerfull magnet in the drained oil and there is a bit like dust or slime on it! not sign of any bigger mettal flake or so!
I think now a sthere was last 30 Hours no magnet in oil,it was a bit more from this dust in the oil as normal!
No magnet that takes some out direct from oil!
I try to make some links with pics in here!
Michael
Old 02-01-2015, 02:26 AM
Registered

First pic is from drain oil! First normal than a bit silvercolour and then more black/dark green comes out!
Second is some of oil in clean pan and show the bottom of the pan!
third show a toilet paper after wish in the bottom of pan where i drain complet oil from drive!
4 show toilet paper when i clean the small powerfull magnet that i put over night in the oil!
The complett oil in white canister show a very light metalic shine now after mixing
when sun shine on! not so conentrated like the pics where come out!before i drain out,drive was not used since end of summer!
Michael

http://www.arcor.de/palb/album_popup...280&height=800

Last edited by Brembofreak; 02-01-2015 at 02:41 AM.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
They are the EXACT same lube with a different label
What drive oil do you run? I personally have ran the high performance QuickSilver in the boat I currently own. I don't get to run my boat offend but when I do it 80-100 miles in a day. I change my drive oil at the beginning of every summer. If there's a better product, than what I'm using I will try it.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:05 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Dust is normal, disappears when rubbed between your fingers. Just means the drive is wearing out, normal bravo junk. But not "broken"..... Yet.

Small sliver like shavings mean you have problems coming soon and should rebuild.

Don't forget to clean out the reservoir
Old 02-01-2015, 02:27 PM
Registered

Ok! It is like you say! Only metal dust! Absolut no sign from pitting parts or so!
I opend today Top cover and backplate and all in looks like new! Also the geartheeth that i can see!
The drive has now only 50 Hours on it since it coem new from merc!
I try now to clean complet out with Brakecleaner and airpressure! Than make new oil in and ride in the beginning year for 2 days and change oil to check!
Hope then no signs in oil like this time!
Thanks for all your meanings!
Michael
Old 02-02-2015, 09:42 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Michael,
It is typical of a Bravo drive to produce a "metallic glow" in the oil during break in.. It usually disappears after about 25-30 hrs. It is caused by the netforged gears in the lower on a B1 and uppers and lowers on the XR. As the gears break in they wear the eggshell surface smooth, resulting in the metal in the oil. If this phenomenon continues to occur then something is a miss. Both drain plugs should have magnets!! Replace the one without so you can collect metal particles to observe them.
As the pinion bearings break in the preload will loosen. At some point the thrust washer that holds the preload on those two bearings will start to spin. The thrust washer will wear and put metal into the oil. Typically it shows up as "pencil lead" on the magnets. This type of wear usually happens later in a Bravo's life. If there is more than this type of dusting on the magnet something it creating a problem. Either pitting in the gear teeth or something coming apart. Upper vertical shaft inner tower bearings can cause wear on the shaft and add metal to the magnets.
My suggestion is to replace the one drain plug that doesn't have the magnet with one that does. Fresh lube and go for a ride or two. Pull the drain plugs, one at a time to check for any metal. If it continues to show dusting after a couple of trips (with only 50hrs on the drive), I would pull it down and look at pinion preload, upper vertical shaft bearing surfaces and anything else that looks incorrect. And if you find any chunks, pull it down.

But I would go boating, check the magnets, if you see dusting after two or three rides, then drain the oil, see if the metallic glow has lessened.. On a new drive, dust and glow, should decrease and go away until you have around 200 hours and things loosen up causing that thrust washer to spin..
I hope that explanation is understandable and helps your diagnosis of the problem..

Dick
Old 02-03-2015, 11:47 PM
Registered

Mercury hp and quicksilver hp are the exact same oil. One of the things that causes the oil to turn black on new drives that few mention is the fact that the drives are powder coated black on the inside from mercury. Over time this powder coating wears off and contaminates the oil turning it black. Mercury racing has finally come out with their own gear oil. It is a multi weight 85-90 synthetic that any mercury dealer can get for you. And yes you can run torco rtf in any bravo drive. It is a very good quality oil
Old 02-04-2015, 02:07 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

^^^^ That also has something to do with it to, but its a combo issue, wear in metals of the new gears mating together makes the gear oil metallic color to.

I will agree that the internal paint of the gear case also adds to darken the gear oil. Merc does not mask off the internal sections of the outdrives when painting them externally, so paint does build up internally. The internal paint will flake or wear off, then get grounded up mixing with the gear oil.

Merc calls their painting process of their outdrives and other parts, "Merfusion Paint System / Process".

Irridite, EDP and a powder paint process is applied to all external areas of the outdrives. This EDP process is also positive and negatively charged when applied

EDP = Electro Deposition Paint..

Last edited by BUP; 02-04-2015 at 02:24 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.