Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Never Change your Drive Lube and your Driver will last for EVER!!!! >

Never Change your Drive Lube and your Driver will last for EVER!!!!

Notices

Never Change your Drive Lube and your Driver will last for EVER!!!!

Old 04-14-2015, 04:49 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cost of changing the gear oil is a helluva lot less expensive than a blown drive.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:57 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Realistically $20.00 worth of gear-lube and an hour of ones time to completely drain and refill the entire unit is an insignificant expense. I'll use that deplete & replace method on equipment that doesn't have varying loads of torque applied to it, much like machine shop equipment as mentioned earlier.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still missing my point, the reason we change out the oil in the drive is because it is dirty, which is bad , so we change all the oil, the main point is that doing it the way I've decribed, the oil never gets dirty, its always about 75% of new and not 90% dirty like the old way. So every minute your drive is being used, would you like the 75% clean oil in it or do you like the 90% dirty oil running in the drive?? And by the way lathes and machine tools in general have big torque loads, the loads vary all the time, thats why there is load meters on them! The main reason for this is not to save money on lube or the time it takes to do a full change out of the lube, but to protect the drive by never letting the oil get dirty!! Also removing a 1/2 a quart or so every 5 to 10 hours is faster because we can quickly drain and top off the bottle, no need to pump the whole drive back full of oil.

Last edited by zgoo; 04-14-2015 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

$20 and 25 minutes versus $10 and 8-10 minutes. Not seeing the big deal. Now if it was a complete ***** several gallons maybe.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:59 AM
Registered

It is not the cost of the lube or saving a few bucks. it's about preventing the oil from getting dirty. The whole reason for changing out the lube every 25 to 50 hours is because it is filled with metal and broke down oil and the additives are used up. Why don't we prevent all of these things from happening by never running that dirty oil in the drive??
Old 04-14-2015, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

What I was saying is just change all of it every 8 hours then
Old 04-14-2015, 01:36 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

How do you get an outdrive to last long enough for it's first oil change?
Old 04-14-2015, 01:49 PM
Registered

Now thats one way to save doing an oil change LOL
Old 04-14-2015, 01:50 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

I say punch a pinhole in the case and hook up an IV bag of gear lube and just do a continuous drip of fresh lube! "Dixie, I need an IV - D5W with Ringer's Lactate and Merc Hi-Perf, stat!"
Old 04-14-2015, 02:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by zgoo
Ok, long story here.....

Back in 1957 my dad read in the paper that Macy department store in NY city would never change the oil in there delivery trucks but would only change the filter and add a oil to top off the amount lost within the filter every 5k and they where getting over 250k on the truck engines. So my dad not a car guy buys a new 1959 Sports Fury and never changed the oil in it and sold the car when the trans went out at almost 200k. He also a had a small flleet of dry cleaning trucks that he did the same on and they lasted too, so Fast forward and I buy and sell shop equipment used in areospace and high tech companies, and what I learned was that they will not always change out a lot of the oils and chemicals used in machines and manufacturing processes and I believe it is called titration. So lets say the drive holds 3 qaurts and is changed at 30 hours for ****s and giggles, the oil in the drive at the first ten hours is 30% dirty, 20 hours 60% and at 30 hours it would be 90% dirty. So the first 15 hours the oil is twice good as the dirty oil the last 15 hours? We as boaters should change out our drive lube every 5 hours!!! All we do is drain enough oil out untill the fill bottle justs runs out, put the plug back in and and top off the lube bottle. So if we change out 1/2 a quart ever 5 hours we would be in better shape then running very used, broke down and dirty oil for the last ten hour to save money!!
Oh Cool I'm goona try this on my #5s with my 1100s in front of them!!! when the drives FU*K OFF on me what's your address? you're getting the bill!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.