Alpha 1 outer water supply hose rerlacement >

Alpha 1 outer water supply hose rerlacement

Notices

Alpha 1 outer water supply hose rerlacement

Old 04-12-2015, 06:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alpha 1 outer water supply hose rerlacement

Hey guys , noticed the outer water hose badly cracked when looking around the outdrive . I was hoping not to rip the whole thing apart . I found some online discussions about it being doable although a P.I.T.A. Anyone done this and have any advice ?
Old 04-12-2015, 07:06 PM
Registered

I think that Frisco Jay did a YouTube video.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:25 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

the best advice is to buy the appropriate OEM service manuals per your app(s) along with the special tools needed, I would not put all my eggs in a basket for youtube to provide proper procedures especially for technical repairs. I have customers tell me the same about they go to youtube to try to fix their boats 100 % to a T and many told me about this Frisco guy they have watched. I guess he is in my area (Dallas) -

I just had to check out who in the world he was. - yes he can offer some good advice but I will say this - if he was that great and such a great mechanical do it yourselfer - My question is, if he was that experienced and that great of a boat mechanic , how come he has to spend so much time fixing the boats that he bought, it seems afterwards his boats have big problems after his purchase and he seems so surprised that could happen to him.. Just saying and my own professional opinion.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:36 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Ayuh,.... If the water hose is old enough to be crackin', the bellows are about too,.....

Get a Kit, 'n service the transom assembly,.... Replace All the rubber parts,.....

The "Expected" service life is 5 years,.....
Old 04-13-2015, 07:06 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Yup, get the entire kit. If you decide to do it yourself, here a tip for ya. Warm up the water hose and lube the end of it and the transom fitting. Push that hose on as far as you can because if you don't the hose will kink when trimmed down and starve the motor of water. Basically, pay attention to the routing as they have a tendency to kink if not installed correctly.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:50 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Mercruiser recommends spraying Power tune on the ID of the waterhose to help with installation..Been doing that 4 ever and it really does make the install of the hose a lot easier.

Buy the OEM service manual is the best advice to start out with. I even have a couple available for that app to sell way less than retail.. Just saying

I do agree buy the transom service kit and watch out which one you get for the Alpha because you can end up with one that's has the smaller ID water hose. Of course this will all depend on the year model of your app. I am taking it you have at least a 1986 thru 1990 app here.

Also it might be wise to do the intermediate shift cable & boot as well,

Last edited by BUP; 04-13-2015 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

A word to the wise..... Do NOT get the cheap ebay kit!!!!! unless you have a great desire to cook your motor and sink your boat. Now would also be a really good time replace the shift cable too. Alphalphas love new silky smooth shift cables!
Old 04-13-2015, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

The job will be easier if you get a long 1/4 inch extension with the wobbley end and the right socket instead of a screwdriver too. And make sure there are no children or little old ladies around when you do it, because you WILL become an expletive emitting master of ceremonies.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:12 PM
Registered

Thanks for the replies . Yes , the p.o. had the whole out drive re-sealed 3 seasons ago , apparently they overlooked or neglected to change out the hose while they were in there.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:43 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
the job will be easier if you get a long 1/4 inch extension with the wobbley end and the right socket instead of a screwdriver too. And make sure there are no children or little old ladies around when you do it, because you will become an expletive emitting master of ceremonies.
autozone- not o'rileys or napa -sells a flex shaft extension kit 1/4 & 3/8 about $15 very useful
good luck