Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Thinking out loud here.....and outside the Bravo box..... >

Thinking out loud here.....and outside the Bravo box.....

Notices

Thinking out loud here.....and outside the Bravo box.....

Old 04-23-2015, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Thinking out loud here.....and outside the Bravo box.....

Ok, how many of us have bravo drives that we are trying to push big power through? More than probably will care to admit. We all know that Bravo based drives are time bombs and the only truly reliable ways to get away from that cost 50% to more than 100% what the boat is worth. With the impending and necessary upgrade of my bravo drive to temporarily tolerate (I won't say "handle") my ~750 hp, I am left thinking, is there a better way? The 600-800 HP power range of motors is very popular yet has the least amount of drive options. Merc leaves a huge gap between the Bravo and the SSM drives, and there are capable aftermarket drives but they are very pricey and quite similar in design and componentry, just with scaled up internals to handle the added stress.

Yes, Arneson style drives are what we all covet, IMCO SCX will do the job but may loose a few MPH along with the Bmax stuff due to the larger gearing. Xpower are an amazing piece of engineering but also way out of most Bravo boat owners pricing league. Conversion to another Merc product is just as expensive as these options for used components. One can also dump a huge amount of coin on "billet" this and that which fits in or on bravo cases, and is almost as expensive as an IMCO.

What is the deal with convention and continually using 90 degree changes with gears and shafts? Why not build a completely bolt on and go bravo replacement that is similar to something of a Mud Buddy hyperdrive style unit? Will it be as aesthetically pleasing as the Imco or certainly a Xpower? Nope, but could it handle the power if done right, be easy to change x-dimensions, and would bolt onto Bravo gimbal and use bravo trim rams. I am talking of the power coming out of gimbal, into a simple F/R transmission (similar in size/stature to NXT trans), then transmitted down to the propshaft with a wide chain similar to a 4WD transfer case. This would not be a terribly complicated drive and could be set for surfacing easily and I wouldn't think a simple chain drive would rob a ton of power either. I could be wrong.

This is just a ranting through boredom. I have yet to sketch anything out, do any feasibility studies, any solids modeling. I am merely starting a technical discussion and would like to hear some thoughts on if I am ready to be comitted to the looney bin or not. Weather turned cold and the mind wanders to boats.....so lets talk.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

^ I haven't been in this sport for long but I am amazed that I can read about so much about outdrive failures that everyone just simply puts up with and accepts as normal. Having them explode and rebuilding constantly is ridiculous for the price they cost they should be bulletproof in my opinion. Also equally amazing is the price tag for the repairs or even the upgraded units that seem way out of reach for the average person. I agree there should be a better and more affordable solution! Again, I am new to the sport so take it for what it's worth but I like your thinking!
Old 04-23-2015, 03:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may want to go ahead and plan on a better transmission than the NXT right from the start.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:59 PM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra100+
You may want to go ahead and plan on a better transmission than the NXT right from the start.
I know nxt trans is weak point of those. I meant more for concept. Something similar in size/configuration.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:47 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gimme Fuel
Ok, how many of us have bravo drives that we are trying to push big power through? More than probably will care to admit. We all know that Bravo based drives are time bombs and the only truly reliable ways to get away from that cost 50% to more than 100% what the boat is worth. With the impending and necessary upgrade of my bravo drive to temporarily tolerate (I won't say "handle") my ~750 hp, I am left thinking, is there a better way? The 600-800 HP power range of motors is very popular yet has the least amount of drive options. Merc leaves a huge gap between the Bravo and the SSM drives, and there are capable aftermarket drives but they are very pricey and quite similar in design and componentry, just with scaled up internals to handle the added stress.
J
Yes, Arneson style drives are what we all covet, IMCO SCX will do the job but may loose a few MPH along with the Bmax stuff due to the larger gearing. Xpower are an amazing piece of engineering but also way out of most Bravo boat owners pricing league. Conversion to another Merc product is just as expensive as these options for used components. One can also dump a huge amount of coin on "billet" this and that which fits in or on bravo cases, and is almost as expensive as an IMCO.

What is the deal with convention and continually using 90 degree changes with gears and shafts? Why not build a completely bolt on and go bravo replacement that is similar to something of a Mud Buddy hyperdrive style unit? Will it be as aesthetically pleasing as the Imco or certainly a Xpower? Nope, but could it handle the power if done right, be easy to change x-dimensions, and would bolt onto Bravo gimbal and use bravo trim rams. I am talking of the power coming out of gimbal, into a simple F/R transmission (similar in size/stature to NXT trans), then transmitted down to the propshaft with a wide chain similar to a 4WD transfer case. This would not be a terribly complicated drive and could be set for surfacing easily and I wouldn't think a simple chain drive would rob a ton of power either. I could be wrong.

This is just a ranting through boredom. I have yet to sketch anything out, do any feasibility studies, any solids modeling. I am merely starting a technical discussion and would like to hear some thoughts on if I am ready to be comitted to the looney bin or not. Weather turned cold and the mind wanders to boats.....so lets talk.
I absolutely love this "out of the box" thinking! It blows my mind how much money we have to pay for outdrives and it's not because they are all that complicated but more because performance boating is considered something for the elite. This is obviously true for those going out and buying brand new outerlimits or cigarettes or MTI's and those same people could care less what the drive costs to buy or repair. Then you have those of us on the opposite end of the spectrum that are trying to truly "boat on a budget" and yet we are left to pick from the same parts as those being used by the elite.

Can't wait to see how this thread pans out!

Thanks
Jim