Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Those of us with kaama drives, finally a cost effective boot solution! >

Those of us with kaama drives, finally a cost effective boot solution!

Notices

Those of us with kaama drives, finally a cost effective boot solution!

Old 06-11-2015, 06:40 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Those of us with kaama drives, finally a cost effective boot solution!

I have been working with a guy for 8-10 months on manufacturing a replacement boot solution for the Kaama drives. I am happy to say I received my sample boot today and it fits like a glove. To help keep costs down we chose to eliminate the inner rubber lip on the boots. This lip really isn't needed as the clamping force from the clamps creates more than enough force to keep the boot from moving. The boot is the same thickness as the factory and has the same look and feel. The cost is also very reasonable especially if we can get a group buy going. PM me for more details or checkout the Kaama drive Facebook page(just search for Kaama surface drives)

Thanks
Jim

Old 06-12-2015, 02:49 PM
Registered

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

I built my last set. Texas Rubber Supply here in Dallas has everything you need to do it. The BEAR of the deal is cutting the main rubber to get the 9?" at one end and the 10?" at the other, and have a straight edge on both ends. I made a template for it (somewhere) Worked great and gave them about a 1/4' more in length so they were such a pain to "stretch" and put on like the factory ones!
Thanks for the great info!!!!

When's that dude getting wet?
Old 06-12-2015, 06:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CDShack
I built my last set. Texas Rubber Supply here in Dallas has everything you need to do it. The BEAR of the deal is cutting the main rubber to get the 9?" at one end and the 10?" at the other, and have a straight edge on both ends. I made a template for it (somewhere) Worked great and gave them about a 1/4' more in length so they were such a pain to "stretch" and put on like the factory ones!
Thanks for the great info!!!!

When's that dude getting wet?
She won't be getting wet until next year! What a ton of engineering to get that engine,tranny, drive combination to fit in the boat!
Old 06-15-2015, 12:15 PM
Registered

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

You da man though!!! Talked to one of my other Kaama brethren, said the optimal drive angle on the CV from the Transmission to the drive is 3.5 degrees, if that helps at all.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you help me with a contact for these boots. My u-joints took a bath with my stock 1986 covers. Thanks -Dean
Old 07-08-2017, 10:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kaama boots

I am interested in a pair of boots for my kaama drives.
732-433-7084
Peter
Old 07-30-2017, 07:26 AM
Registered

Working on a new design that will solve the design flaws of the original boots where they had to rely on the rubber to stretch to allow the knuckle to flex. This excessive stretching is what causes the boots to crack and fracture as the rubber ages. It's going to take some time to get the design ready for production but stay tuned!
Old 07-30-2017, 12:09 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Iirc, the originals were tight to prevent them from getting pinched on the short side. Especially after being used for a few years. Looser ones were tried but then pinching was a problem. If it helps you any...

Last edited by bck; 07-30-2017 at 12:34 PM.