Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Worn out Bravo X gears? >

Worn out Bravo X gears?

Notices

Worn out Bravo X gears?

Old 11-27-2015, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 832 Likes on 352 Posts

Thanks guys! Hopefully be checking it out today. I have service manual 28 as well and that gives some decent inspection tips as well.
Old 11-27-2015, 02:45 PM
Registered

The washer in question does seem to be machined down as seen in the pics. The side that sits next to the shaft shoulder is worn enough I can catch it with my finger nail. The other side I cannot feel but it has clearly been polished. So I assume this washer should be replaced?

Other than that the rest of the parts look good. The teeth on the pinion and drive gears are polished but don't show any uneven wear or cracks etc. the splines on the clutch shaft all look good.

The thrust bearing on top of the bottom gear feels a little rough, the top one feels fine but I'll replace them both. All other bearings look and feel/sound good. Any other parts to inspect closely while its apart?
Old 11-27-2015, 03:10 PM
Registered

Ok the previous post may have been a bit premature.

There is a small chip in the lower drive gear.

I can move the needle bearings in the gears around to create a small gap between two of them. This is the same for the upper and the lower gear bearings.

The splines on the bottom of the clutch shaft to the coupler to the lower looks pretty beaten. I put the coupler on it and there is a little bit of play between them, a very little bit.

Are any of these things concerns? Thanks again guys
Old 12-03-2015, 11:47 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

[ATTACH=CONFIG]548255[/ATTACH]

Get Wet.
Looking at your gear, it is hard to see, but it looks like there is some erosion of the tooth face?? Looking at the one exposed tooth at the root or bottom of the tooth, is that erosion, the dark line where the tooth meets the hub. I see the chips on the edge of the tooth. All signs of issues to come. Look at all the teeth with a magnifying glass for signs of erosion, if you see any don't reuse the gear.
The bearings inside the gear will do that, if you push the needles around it will open space. If they can be tilted by much then it is getting worn. I usually pull the bearings and clean the metal from under the bearing and where the retaining clip seats. There is usually a good deal of metal packed in the space between the bearing and the gear floor. Take a can of brake dry clean or carb cleaner and spray in that area, use a clean rag to see how much metal is coming out. It usually takes a can or two to get all the metal out of there.
The clutch shaft looks ok. I use 600 grit to polish the bearing surfaces to look for any damage. That surface will be eating away or show signs of starting to wear. The spines are formed with the edges curled up so that is not actually wear. Look at the contact points on the splines to look for an erosion of the metal.
And yes, replace the thrust washer that is worn.

Hope that helps.

Dick

For some reason I can't upload a picture.. did someone change the rules or the process?
Had to use Firefox to load the picture..
Attached Thumbnails Worn out Bravo X gears?-2916d0b6-56ed-4823-9b97-006a3bd8cfe8.jpg  

Last edited by Mr Gadgets; 12-03-2015 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Trying to attach a picture...