Rebuilding SSM trim rams >

Rebuilding SSM trim rams

Notices

Rebuilding SSM trim rams

Old 03-03-2016, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 431 Likes on 192 Posts
Default Rebuilding SSM trim rams

Went out into the shop a couple weeks ago and noticed a puddle of PS fluid under one drive. I have not determined where yet, but coming from the trim ram. Looks like BAM marine offers seal kits. Questions:

1. How can you tell if it's 1st design or 2nd design from the outside of the assembly? They look very similar from the BAM schematic, maybe just one additional o-ring in the 2nd design?
first design:
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...81ST+DESIGN%29
second design:
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...82ND+DESIGN%29

2. How to disassemble without trashing the units? I didn't see flats on the caps to grab with a wrench. I am also concerned that the are stuck together given the age.

Any tips appreciated. I may just give them to a marine service up here, but this has to be a simple enough rebuild the average mechanic can do it in his garage....?
Old 03-03-2016, 11:42 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 155 Likes on 85 Posts

There is really no way to tell externally. It's impossible to tell from the drawings but the 1st design use the standard shock piston (#10) with springs and check balls. They have a nasty habit of coming apart. The second design uses a solid piston.

You can see the shock piston has been superseded to the non-shock.

They are simple to repair. We use a strap wrench with nylon webbing to get the end cap off. Then we have a long puller we made with a sheet metal screw on the end to grab the inner support guide out.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:59 PM
Registered

OK, thanks. I'll be calling you for a parts order after I have a chance to source the leak. I anticipate ordering the entire rebuild kit and doing all 4 at once.

Looks to be coming from the end that the lines are going into. I can get fluid from underneath the aft fitting, but have not had a chance to look closely or when it's energized. I need a helper to move the drives. I'll call you next week.

Last edited by frickstyle; 03-03-2016 at 01:02 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:40 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Sounds good. But I have a deal for you - I am rolling out a new web site in the next few days and I really want to have some actual customers test it before I pull the trigger. If you are willing to be a guinea pig I'll give you an additional 10% off. Let me know and I will PM you the link and a coupon code, even though I hope to have the site live by next week.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:08 PM
Registered

Yes, I can certainly help you test it, don't worry about the 10%, although it is appreciated if offered. I still need to know what to buy. Should I just grab the O-ring seal kit, or are there additional items that go with a typical re-build? I am going to dis-assemble it Sat, so I may order over the weekend if you have that link, or I can wait until Monday. I'm in no big hurry until April up here. Thanks again for the advice!!!
Old 03-03-2016, 05:30 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Great! Let me take a look at the oring kit tomorrow. I think that is all you will need unless you have the early style and the shock piston came apart. I'll pm you in the AM.

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2016, 06:29 AM
Registered

OK, round up 4 sets, and PM me what I need to buy (Part Numbers), and when I can try the site / link for your online ordering. Thanks!
Old 03-04-2016, 06:49 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Ok, will send link & coupon code in a few minutes. If you love the site please tell everyone, if you hate it please PM me I hope to have this 100% live over the weekend.

The part number for the kits is 47389A2

I think you will love it! Lots of new features. Mobile friendly,live inventory, lookup using serial number, just to name a few,
Old 03-04-2016, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Marc,

As always you are a class act. Going above and beyond for your customers. Once Frick places his order and the new site is up and running. I'll be happy to place an order as well and spread the news.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:08 PM
Registered

It seemed to work well, thanks again Marc for being so responsive.

Site is a big improvement over the previous one. The ordering was very easy and it's nice to have all the manuals / schematics online and easy to read. I will certainly use BAM as a first resource when I need anything SSM or Hi-perf Merc Racing. I may be sending you some transmissions, but I sure hope I do not have to!

Again, nice job on the site. I am a business owner and am aware of how much work goes into new web development, and in addition, the e-commerce function for the products that the site offers. Thanks again for your service on such a small order. I should be able to return the favor in the future.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.