Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Imco gimbal with mercury trim sender? >

Imco gimbal with mercury trim sender?

Notices

Imco gimbal with mercury trim sender?

Old 04-12-2016, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 821 Likes on 347 Posts
Default Imco gimbal with mercury trim sender?

Anybody out there with a Imco gimbal ever try to incorporate the trim sender and linkage used on the Mercury ITS units? Imco gave me a vague "can't do it" when I asked, no details as to why not. Mounting the sensor to the gimbal helmet wouldn't be a big deal but the linkage that bolts onto the ITS gimbal ring would have to bolt onto the Imco gimbal ring the same way. Maybe not exactly the same but close. I figure somebody out there has to of given this a try or at least a thought.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:34 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In a word yes. In the end I found it easier to mount a linear position sensor on the trim indicator sender inside the boat.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:02 AM
Registered

So you tried to mount the sensor on the helmet with the linkage attached to the gimbal ring? So you ended up running a mechanical indicator and a cable then used a linear sensor to your gauge/indicator from there?
Old 04-14-2016, 06:52 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes. Originally I made a longer arm and used Smartcrat sender at Gimbal on port side. Now I have position sender(s) on Noland box so boat is engine agnostic
Old 07-26-2016, 05:16 PM
Registered

Back on this part of the project. Pretty sure I can get the smartcraft trim limit/ trim sender on the imco gimbal assembly. I've found the sensor (25) and the stainless bracket (32) that bolts onto the gimbal ring.

If anyone has parts 28, 30, 31, 35, 42 & 43 off of a Merc HP gimbal or ITS setup from something being parted out I would gladly pay for them, just rather not pay Mercury prices for R&D purposes.